LED Wall urgent help needed

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BrynTP

LED Wall urgent help needed

Post by BrynTP »

Hey, I'm making an LED Wall using the parts below and I'm having display errors for some unknown reason

The wall is being built using the parts below as well as an ATX power supply for the cards and a large transformer for the panels so all components are being powered properly.
LED Wall controller send and receive cards
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1453

32 x 64 5mm pitch LED panels
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2277

I have the cards properly set up to mirror a laptop display, however roughly half of each panel does not light up (third image)
http://imgur.com/a/z3TEE
The panels also have this problem when used with only the receiver with no PC display input. (First image)

Any way to make all the LEDs work? I've tried fixing it using the LED configuration software unsuccessfully, however if the problem occurs when using only the receiver card outputting a single color onto the wall I doubt the problem stems from the sender card or the PC output, any help would be greatly appreciated

More info: the problem Isn't the cables or panels either as I've tried with multiple cables and panels.

BrynTP

Re: LED Wall urgent help needed

Post by BrynTP »

45 people have seen this with no replies, its due in 6 weeks does anyone have any advice or help at all please!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

looks like address D isnt being used, try the 32x32 type panel program settings? it needs to know to use all 4 address pins.

BrynTP

Post by BrynTP »

I've changed the settings again to the correct resolution with no improvement, looking at the mouse position it simply isn't using half the rows and is merging the two working sections together into a 16x64 display with a hole in the middle and below. I've attached an image of the settings and the panel as it stands.

http://imgur.com/a/L216d

BrynTP

Post by BrynTP »

Changing the width to 32 causes it to mirror, but actually changes something. Altering the height on the software to anyhting makes no difference at all

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

not width of 32, height.
like this
https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-led-video-cube

however, plz dont forget our warning :)

Please note! This is not a a beginner project! There's a lot of wiring and power management. We don't sell all the components required so you may need to spend some time getting all the parts you need. Building the wall can take a few weekends and requires care and patience. Here at Adafruit we love this kind of thing, and we have documented the process as best as possible but there's not a lot of documention out there about these systems so even though we got our wall working nicely we do not offer any kind of consulting or assistance beyond our forum tech support. This is not a project for a mission-critical, outdoor, mobile or other LED display or for use beyond hobbyist hacking!
this isn't a strongly supported product - and you're not following the tutorial exactly so you are on your own in that sense. its really for people who are super comfy hacking and moding and running weird software. if you need an LED wall, you can buy one from a company that does that. we just sell some parts that could be made into a wall!!!

BrynTP

Post by BrynTP »

I was changing the height and it isn't changing the panels, I was just using the width as an example of changing the panel using the software and the panel actually responding.

I read the warning and I'm comfortable building what I want to get out of this project, I've just run into a problem that seems to be caused by nothing and fixed by nothing, is there anything at all that stands out in my setup screen, I've been tweaking it for about 4 weeks now with no progress and the deadline is creeping closer. If you have any advice at all that would be amazing. thank you!

edit: It's for a school project, I've already got a high mark for producing a working prototype but there's a hobby side of it I'd love to get running perfectly.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

the only thing we think it could be is that it needs to be told about the 4th address line. the tutorial we have is for 3-address line displays and we test with that wall, we dont have a 32 pixel tall panel wall. its almost certainly something you have to set in the settings for that address line to get used

BrynTP

Post by BrynTP »

Maybe I can just switch to 16x32 panels instead, before I do that is there an easy way to tell the software about the 4th address line or would changing my project design be simpler?

Using the 16x32 panels I'd need to use 36 of them, any foreseeable problems with that? I'd be running 6x6 rows and the card supports up to 7 rows

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”