I am new to the forums and the Arduino world. It would seem that it coupled with the Adafruit products I might be in the right place to have a long time dream become a reality. Looking at your products, and this new technology (to me), there is a world of possibilities your products can do. A little backfill on the dream project is as follows:
The project box must have a somewhat small footprint, i.e. 5" long x 2.5" deep x 2" wide...That is the largest, smaller is better. The odd size is due to the box being stored in the arm of the telescope. I have put together a DIY bluetooth module and a 5v to 3.3v module with RS232 to control the scope from MDFLY, which works great from my MBPro. There are times that I would like to be further away than 10'-15'. I have realized over the years, as my technology has changed, so have my needs. The field box needs to have the following capabilities in order to provide the completed feel to this long time wish.
- an LCD status screen with a momentary switch to cycle though information...I really like the RGB one!
- the end of the box has an LED to use as a flashlight with a push button or switch - red, blue, green or white depending on the need
- various LEDs depicting box status...i.e. charging, battery state, USB / DC / Solar, faults...etc, etc.
- a usb port to charge up an iPhone, iPad or other USB type devices
- an auto switching from usb/dc charger to recharge the battery inside
- a solar panel connector port to charge the box and can be used to support daytime charging of USB devices
- the ability to turn off the LCD display, and all lights but have a momentary switch to check status LED lights and display
- continue with bluetooth or even one of the xbee products to connect to the rs232 port on the telescope. It must "talk" to my MBPro
Housed in the other arm currently is my DIY bluetooth module powered by a 3.7v 610mAh Li-ion old banned Controller battery. I currently charge it using the PCB from the controller plugged in to the USB port of the computer. So, I would like to change that old habit in case the battery needs to be charged up in the field I can connect it to the box too.
I know, I know. My goal is not a simple one, but I have steady hands to solder surface mounted items with little or no rework. I can read schematics, and a have a good head on my shoulders. I know how to read bands on resistors and can figure out what most components are by looking at them, but the math for putting them together, I will need help with some of the formulas. So please be patient if I ask a few questions. Besides, you would ask a realtor about a house and a dealership about a car, right? Well, I'm asking you to help me bring a long time dream to fruition.
With the laundry list above, and your combined knowledge of these processors, modules and parts, what will I need in order to make this happen? I have crawled all over your site, like an ant on sugar, and have found some of the most wonderful things. But I will admit, I am a little bit overwhelmed. I believe the dual power li-ion charger with solar and a minty boost will be needed for starters? Then the RGB LCD display? Well, as long as I can choose red or blue and fix it for the color display. Then one, or more, of the li-ion batteries once power is figured out. The rest however, I need an expert please. I will answer any questions to my the best of my knowledge to help make this a reality.
Thank you in advance,