Raspberry Pi Box (laser-cut case)

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
tadpole

Re: Raspberry Pi Box (laser-cut case)

Post by tadpole »

Hi everyone!
I jut wanted to pass along that I had the same problem with the case and the *end nubs* getting broken off on building. Funny thing was, I even realised this was going to to be a potential problem, so was extra careful to do the springy side last. You might want to put a little WARNING in the box or something, as I feel this might be something that will happen to others as well. Take a look at this if you guys ever do a version 2 of this. Otherwise the case looks great.. and im going to use some rubber cement on those spots.

Thanks and keep up the good work !!

MrToasty

Post by MrToasty »

Just received my Pi yesterday and assembled the case around it this morning. I ran into the exact same problem as tadpole. I was very careful to not stress the claws when assembling but two of the upper claws both snapped off. Now the wall on the power end is flapping in the breeze. :(

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

MrToasty wrote:Just received my Pi yesterday and assembled the case around it this morning. I ran into the exact same problem as tadpole. I was very careful to not stress the claws when assembling but two of the upper claws both snapped off. Now the wall on the power end is flapping in the breeze. :(
hi mr.toasty,

we'll be able to assist you. just send an email to [email protected]

cheers,
adafruit support, phil

sirsyko

Post by sirsyko »

I'm wondering if the choice for Acrylic for this case was a good one. My case slid off the tv stand about 6 inches onto the shelf below and two of the clasps popped off. Fortunately they were at diagonal from eachother, thus it remains together (as long as I hold it properly as I connect/disconnect cables). I can see how easy it would be for these things to pop off when trying to put it together.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sirsyko wrote:I'm wondering if the choice for Acrylic for this case was a good one. My case slid off the tv stand about 6 inches onto the shelf below and two of the clasps popped off. Fortunately they were at diagonal from eachother, thus it remains together (as long as I hold it properly as I connect/disconnect cables). I can see how easy it would be for these things to pop off when trying to put it together.
my iphone fell 6 inches glass down and shattered, it happens - but, so far out of thousands of pi cases shipped (we're up to that many now, woo!) only a few people have had any problems at all with the case from dropping it, if you need replacement parts drop us a line [email protected]

cheers,
adafruit support, phil

pinch

Post by pinch »

Thank you for making this case! It's beautiful and easy to assemble. I love the details and look!

Akatm

Post by Akatm »

thank you sooo much for mentioning thepart," you will brake it if not careful" I plan on getting one so that saves me the trouble of accidentally braking it because I like to just shove stuff together and be done with it

syzygyaf

Post by syzygyaf »

I really like my Pi Box... In fact when the 512meg model came out I bought another Pi Box as well (this time from Newark because it was easier to find them in stock!). However I recently tried to see if one of Adafruits 2.2" LCDs would fit in the case. It just barely doesn't... however the real issue was that like a number of other posters I broke a claw off. The odd thing is that I recall the case being much more durable when I put it together originally. I was very careful both times, but taking it apart today it just broke. It almost feels like the plastic got brittle extremely quickly... it felt like the plastic in my car that is 15 years old ;-) I did get my Pi out of the first batch but that was just earlier this year. I love the case, but I wish there was a way to make it a little stronger. I wonder if a slightly different acrylic could be found to make this stand up a bit better.

P.S. I'd love tiny display that fit in the case or a slightly bigger case that could take a display :-)

bfesser

Post by bfesser »

I love my Pi Box, and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easily-disassembled case for the Ras Pi. I have just one suggestion for Adafruit; laser engrave "GPIO" under the ribbon cable slot (for consistency).

I have one tip for assembly; put a little piece of Scotch® double-sided tape on the little acrylic cutout that goes under the RJ-45 socket and stick it to the PCB. I found that sometimes it comes loose and slides around in the case, and it can be tricky to put the case together without the piece falling out. This way, it stays right where it belongs. :)

compuquak

Post by compuquak »

I have one of those little cases, but don't see how they are good for any practical purpose other than keeping the pi safe. So, I build a prototype out of acrylic plastic. My goal was to have no external devices to clutter the work space. I integrated an external 2.5" SATA hard drive (glues the guts from an external drive case), a USB hub (again, took the guts out of one), two power supplies (to keep the Pi isolated), put a micro wireless keyboard and mouse dongle and wireless USB adapter in there, and soldered the wores together -- stripping some USB cables for wire and connectors. I mounted the Pi so it easily slides off the top of a platform over the hard drive.It isn't too pretty, but it works just fine. I really think some plastics company would make some money with something like this - designed to spec and made as nicely as the little ones I see on the web.

I can send pix if anyone is interested. email me at "[email protected]"

Here is my wiring scheme.
Rpi wiring scheme.jpg

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”