Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

quick question about the Matrix.. Backpack learning module
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

quick question about the Matrix.. Backpack learning module

by blave on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 pm

I think I have all of this hooked up correctly, but using i2cdetect doesn't show anything, and looking in /dev doesn't reveal any i2c* devices.

I'm assuming the project is powering the i2c backpack/8x8 matrix with the Cobbler's 3V3 connection. Am I wrong? Am I supposed to use a separate PS to power the backpack/display?

BTW I'm powering the Pi with a Kindle power supply, which is theoretically 800mA. I am wondering if it can't keep up with the combination of Pi/USB wireless adaptor/backpack-LED display.

This is my first test of the Cobbler -- maybe I should just try lighting up a single LED 8^) .

thanks,

Dave B.
San Jose, CA
blave

Re: quick question about the Matrix.. Backpack learning module

by blave on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:13 pm

Answering my own post: i2c is not enabled in Raspbian Wheezy. I had to add the following lines to /etc/modules:

i2c-dev
i2c-bcm2708

After rebooting I had /dev/i2c-0 and i2c-1, and everything works now.

Dave.
blave