Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Sending data to COSM program stopping
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Sending data to COSM program stopping

by egutting on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:27 am

Hello, I was able get the RPi to read the temp and send it in, but after about 2 hours the python program seems to stop. Is this normal?
Thanks!
egutting

Re: Sending data to COSM program stopping

by svinzant on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:59 pm

I was doing something similar with this tutorial and having a similar problem. I was able to keep the script running for 24 to 30 hours before I needed to restart it.
I eventually took the "While (True)" part of the loop out of the code and set up a cron job to run every minute and execute the code. Check out this feed. Or my dashboard.
Scott
svinzant

by egutting on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 am

That worked great! Thanks!
egutting

by e024576 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Regarding "I eventually took the "While (True)" part of the loop out of the code and set up a cron job to run every minute and execute the code." Can you say a little more about setting up a cron job. Here's the command that I enter from the command line which does work: "sudo /home/pi/python/oneshot-cosm-temp.py" To define the cron job I entered "crontab -e" and then put in a single line

* * * * * root home/pi/python/oneshot-cosm-temp.py

The result is - no error messages, but nothing is written to my screen nor sent to cosm. So as far as I can tell, my cron job does nothing

Any ideas?

thanks
e024576

by svinzant on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:32 pm

e024576,
I am at work right now.
Once I get home, I will look over my notes and see if I can shed some light on your question.
Scott
svinzant

by svinzant on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:16 am

e024576,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I got busy with a few things, then forgot all about replying...
So, here is what I can tell you:
I created a small script called Get_Temp.sh that looks like this:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
cd Adafruit-Raspberry-Pi-Python-Code/Adafruit_DHT_Driver
sudo ./DHT_Temp.py

DHT_Temp.py is my hacked up Python program that I discussed up above.

For my crontab setup, it looks like this:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
* * * * * sudo ./Get_Temp.sh

I am no Linux expert, I'm sure I have not done things they way the Linux "purists" would like to see them done.
But, I do know it works!
I hope this helps... If not, ask more questions!
Scott
svinzant