Modifying the TV-B-Gone Kit
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Re: Modifying the TV-B-Gone Kit

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:53 am

We do have a tutorial on IR sensors and decoding in general. http://learn.adafruit.com/ir-sensor/overview
We don't have a step-by-step specifically for modding TVBGone codes. :(
adafruit_support_bill

by Paulc1 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:57 am

Quite familiar with IR tutorial and Arduino IDE in general. Weak on C and AvrDude. Can open and modify TVBG in notepad. Lack in recompiling an reloading sketch after mod.
Thinking of loading, modding, saving and recompiling sketch in Arduino,then reloading chip using Arduino as ISP. Will that work?
Thanks
Paulc1

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 am

I don't think you can compile it in the Arduino IDE. It expects things to be structured as Arduino sketches.
adafruit_support_bill

by ButWeige on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:25 am

Rather valuable answer
ButWeige

by Paulc1 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Going over the code of TVBG I note the mention of printing out the code with:
DEBUGP(putstring.... )
Just wondering if there is a way of retrieving the code of a TV once triggered by TVBG through Serial monitor in order to use that code in another IR decoder/ sender gadget I'm working on.
I am unable to grab the code of certain remotes using the IR tutorial and was wonding if there was a way around.

Thanks
Paulc1

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 am

Just wondering if there is a way of retrieving the code of a TV once triggered by TVBG

Unfortunately, the TVBG does not know when (or if) the TV is triggered. It just blasts through the whole list of codes and hopes one of them works.
adafruit_support_bill

by Paulc1 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:02 pm

The reason I was asking, was my unsuccessful attempts at grabging and sending a Volume "ON OFF" IR code for an RCA TV/VCR units. I understand TVBG issues Unit, not volume, ON OFF codes but I was thinking of substituting Unit ON OFF Code with Vol ON OFF If I could extract it from TVBG. No Luck there.

I will be reporting about my trials and tribulations about grabbing and sending IR code in the IR and the Automatic Volume control blogs elsewhere, but of relevance here is the fact I was able, after all, to grab and send all the codes I needed by adjusting the carrier fequency.

It happened that the TV's I was having trouble with coding are a Sony and an RCA, and, low and behold, SB-Projects, http://sbprojects.com/knowledge/ir/rca.php, mentions that Sony uses a 40KHz carrier frequency and RCA a 57KHz !!! and substituting IRpulse to 9/3 for Sony and 6/3 for RCA in the "void PulseIR" code, did the trick.

I was wondering therefore whether TVBG fartors in carrier frequency as well as on off timings since I was able to trigger all my TV's with TVBG, else how do you explain my being able to, only after raising the carrier frequency to 57KHz in the IR Tutorial code?

Looking forward to your comments

Thanks
Paulc1