Arduino Uno Ethernet

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
postal

Arduino Uno Ethernet

Post by postal »

I purchased 2 Arduino Uno Ethernet boards last week and have now just started to fuss with them.

Using a FTDI cable, I cannot upload any code (tried the Blink example). It returns:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

when holding down Shift and uploading, it returns:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

While I am not a complete noOb to Arduino. The correct board, and USB port is selected. (Arduino Uno as per instructions on adafruit.com, also tried Arduino Ethernet, both fail).

So, I then tested my FTDI cable, just to make sure. (http://www.ladyada.net/wiki/ftditest, passed).

After asking around in ##arduino on freenode, and using google, It turns out the bootloader is sometimes funky on these ones, and I found this site:

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

I tried that. It didn't work.

I then found:

http://scuola.arduino.cc/en/content/upg ... st-version

- I wired up a Uno to the Ethernet Uno per the instructions.
- I downloaded the bootloader, and loaded it into Arduino IDE 1.0.3.
- Flashed to Uno
- Loaded up Serial @ 19200.
- Nothing...

I tried using command (win7 box), to use AVRDUDE in the last setting of that tutorial... and it still won't communicate.

I'm not sure where/what to try next. Any help would be appreciated, as my prototype is ready for testing! (http://imgur.com/whfRe)

Franklin97355

Re: Arduino Uno Ethernet

Post by Franklin97355 »

Did you install the uno drivers as instructed? Does the port show up in device manager( if you are using windows)?

postal

Post by postal »

franklin97355 wrote:Did you install the uno drivers as instructed? Does the port show up in device manager( if you are using windows)?
This is my... 10th Arduino?

So yes, Uno drivers are installed... but the Ethernet Uno uses a FTDi cable for communication, which... when installed doesn't show as Arduino UNO R3 in the Device Manager; It shows up as Serial to USB (COM7).

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Shift/Upload is no longer the verbose mode (as of version 1.0.1 I believe). To get verbose output, open File->Preferences and check the box for verbose output on upload.

postal

Post by postal »

Code: Select all

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\postaL\Desktop\arduino-1.0.3\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : \\.\COM7
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20] 
avrdude: Recv: 
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

So the board is not responding at all. Do you see any led activity when you attempt the upload?

postal

Post by postal »

When connecting using the FTDi cable, the "ON" LED turns on, as well as the one next to it, "Lg". the "Lg" (or "L9") turns off after roughly 5-10~ seconds.

When attempting to upload, the Tx and Rx flash a few times on the FTDi chip, but no LEDs flicker on the board.

W/ my multimeter, the 5v shows 4.8v. I tested it on another Uno board, which powers everything (Ethernet Shield + Protoshield w/ SHX11 and Photocell) just fine with the displayed 4.8v.

Not sure if it's a bad unit, as... what are the chances of 2 units being shipped together to the customer (from manufacture -> distro -> consumer) and both be faulty?

adafruit_support_bill

When attempting to upload, the Tx and Rx flash a few times on the FTDi chip
The Rx is flashing, but you are not seeing any response from the board in the verbose output. Sounds like a problem with the cable. Try a different USB port.

postal

Post by postal »

adafruit_support wrote:
When attempting to upload, the Tx and Rx flash a few times on the FTDi chip
The Rx is flashing, but you are not seeing any response from the board in the verbose output. Sounds like a problem with the cable. Try a different USB port.
I thought that might be it, but this FTDi setup has flashed my multiwii multirotor flight controller w/o a problem.

I ordered another FTDi cable from Adafruit.com, hopefully that'll be here by Friday or Saturday. I will report back then.

kewakl

Post by kewakl »

adafruit_support wrote:
Shift/Upload is no longer the verbose mode (as of version 1.0.1 I believe). To get verbose output, open File->Preferences and check the box for verbose output on upload.
YAY one more change to have to keep up with! Thanks Team Arduino ! Change something else for the sake of change. And then again. Be like Microsoft! :P

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”