Please be aware of all shipping deadlines before placing your order - we cannot guarantee orders will arrive before Christmas!

WiFi module with antenna
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

WiFi module with antenna

by Tenocticatl on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 am

I recently bought the WiFi adapter with antenna (product 1030), and I'm having trouble with it.

Occidentalis seems to indeed have the correct driver, but I have to log in to a WPA-enterprise network (eduroam), and I can't find a way to adjust the required settings.

It seems like I can adjust the correct settings in the latest Raspbian Wheezy distro (2012-12-16), but it doesn't seem to have the correct driver (keeps bugging out in various ways, then the adapter shuts down and I have to reboot). The script that is pointed to on the product page doesn't work for the 12-16 build, and probably wouldn't anyway because it only allows for WPA-PSK as well. Power supply shouldn't be a problem; I'm using a powered hub.

Is there another way to get the driver onto Wheezy? Or any way to get this working?
Tenocticatl

Re: WiFi module with antenna

by Tenocticatl on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Nevermind, I fixed it. I'll note my solution briefly in case someone else can use it.

Adding all the info in the Wheezy network setup utility, and then changing a few things in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf manulally from the console so they matched the settings from my university's network tutorial, then rebooting (several times; keyboard stopped working for some unrelated reason). So it wasn't a hardware compatibility issue.

It seems that, when you configure the network wrongly, it just keeps trying for a minute or so, and then goes "screw it, I'm done" and shuts down until you reboot. This is what '-signal 15' means.

These network settings vary a lot from place to place, so I can't really give a more general solution. Lots of stuff on google though.

In case you need to refer to a CA certificate, they're in /etc/ssl/certs/.
Tenocticatl