SSH enabled by default on Raspbian ?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
jimk123

SSH enabled by default on Raspbian ?

Post by jimk123 »

I recently bought a raspberry pi model B w/4GB SD card for Raspberry Pi preinstalled with Raspbian Wheezy and the USB console cable #954. I do not have access to a monitor/keyboard at the moment and was wondering if I use the USB cable, install the windows driver (win7) if I could boot it up this way and use something like putty to access the SSH client ? Was not sure if the raspi-config file has ssh enabled by default on the Raspbian version of the software ? thanks

tldr

Re: SSH enabled by default on Raspbian ?

Post by tldr »

just plug in the usb cable and fire up a terminal emulator. i think putty will suffice for this, (i use minicom or screen), but you will not be using ssh. you'll just be a terminal plugged into a serial port on the pi. once logged in, you can enable ssh, (get sshd to run at startup), so that in future you can dispense with the usb cable and login over the network using ssh.

doctorwho8

Post by doctorwho8 »

JimK123 wrote:I recently bought a raspberry pi model B w/4GB SD card for Raspberry Pi preinstalled with Raspbian Wheezy and the USB console cable #954. I do not have access to a monitor/keyboard at the moment and was wondering if I use the USB cable, install the windows driver (win7) if I could boot it up this way and use something like putty to access the SSH client ? Was not sure if the raspi-config file has ssh enabled by default on the Raspbian version of the software ? thanks
Hello!
Do you have access to an ordinary TV set with composite video input and even sound? Then you can bring up your system that way. The other ones that of connecting to the device's serial port will work. (I think.)

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Thanks for the quick replies

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

update: was able to get in on COM7 serial port and update the config using sudo raspi-config to enable SSH. Then i rebooted, logged back in and ran sudo apt-get install ssh and sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start. plugged in a network cable and got the ip using /sbin/ifconfig. Opened another putty session entered the IP, selected SSH but nothing - kept getting network error - timed out :( Then I remembered that the WIN7 machine was running Symantec Endpoint Protection. Once I disabled that was able to login fine using SSH. Thanks everyone !

doctorwho8

Post by doctorwho8 »

JimK123 wrote:update: was able to get in on COM7 serial port and update the config using sudo raspi-config to enable SSH. Then i rebooted, logged back in and ran sudo apt-get install ssh and sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start. plugged in a network cable and got the ip using /sbin/ifconfig. Opened another putty session entered the IP, selected SSH but nothing - kept getting network error - timed out :( Then I remembered that the WIN7 machine was running Symantec Endpoint Protection. Once I disabled that was able to login fine using SSH. Thanks everyone !
Hello!
That's good. However SSH is part of the basic install on the card. Unless, mind you, unless you built your own using a matching Debian system and did not include it.

Running that would have gotten you a nag that your SSH install was up to date. However the start request would only be needed if you did not restart the unit after running the config utilities.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”