Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Need Help Installing AVRDUDE (Mac OSX)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Need Help Installing AVRDUDE (Mac OSX)

by Dread-Eye on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:05 am

I've built the kit and bought the DB-9 adaptor. Now I need help installing the software on a Mac. The online instructions say:

"Just do a "./configure" then "make; make install" as usual"

I have no idea what this means. I downloaded 'avrdude-5.1' but don't know what to do with it. This is my first time doing anything like this. Thanks.
Dread-Eye

Re: Need Help Installing AVRDUDE (Mac OSX)

by adafruit_support_rick on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:11 pm

You've got a source-code distribution. You don't want that. The MiniPOV tutorial links to an executable version of avrdude:
Step 8b. Download patched avrdude if necessary

For some reason, FTDI-chip based adapters need some special help programming these chips. You'll need to use a modified verson of avrdude so download the package from here. Replace /usr/local/AVRMacPack/bin/avrdude and /usr/local/AVRMacPack/bin/avrdude.conf with the patched versions you just downloaded.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Need Help Installing AVRDUDE (Mac OSX)

by ceratophyllum on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:59 pm

The easiest way to install avrdude on Mac OS X is to use macports.

Once you have macports installed simply run this as root(sudo) and go have tea while it all compiles:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
port install avr-gcc avr-libc avrdude

and you're done. At least with the software install. I'm using a PL2303 serial adaptor and while it is crazy-slow, it gets the job done.

Btw, you'll have to make a few changes to the minipov .c files to get them to compile, regardless of whether you're on OS X or Linux. The error message is really weird and it took me forever to find out the stuff below. Luckily, it's just a few lines that need changing.

SIGNAL( SIG_TIMER1_COMPA)
should change to:

SIGNAL(TIMER1_COMPA_vect)

and
PGM_P largeimage_p PROGMEM = large_image;
should now be:
const largeimage_p PROGMEM = large_image;

I don't understand what the COMPA_vect stuff is...I'm only a beginner at AVRs. About all I can tell is it has something to do with timers.... :)
ceratophyllum