Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

New Run of Adafruit Pibow Does Not Work With Adafruit MicroSD Adapter
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

New Run of Adafruit Pibow Does Not Work With Adafruit MicroSD Adapter

by phaedrus37 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:40 pm

Today, I received two Adafruit Pibows. I installed a Raspberry Pi board only to find that the case is a quite a bit thinner than the Rainbow Pibow and is therefore incompatible with the Adafruit MicroSD adapter. I can measure the specifics when I get home to my shop, but the current run of Adafruit Pibows appears to be about 3/32" shorter in stacking height than the Rainbow Pibow. Because the Rainbow Pibow assembled with the adapter in place without a problem, the adapter on the board for the Adafruit case scratched the clear acrylic as I tried to gently shift the board and case layers into a nonexistent correct orientation — I realize that this is a miserable, first-world complaint, leaning heavily towards whining, but I expect my patina of use to develop with use, on the outside.

Is this a manufacturing error with the cases? I reviewed the current product description; I don't believe that I missed a notification regarding incompatibility. The Rainbow Pibow demo video remains on the Adafruit Pibow page with its rather convincing demonstration of MicroSD adapter.

I am quite disappointed, particularly given the general quality of my purchases and the very high quality of other my Adafruit branded products. Is there a way to fix the situation with a layer .5, perhaps? What are my options?

Thank you,

jack
phaedrus37

Re: New Run of Adafruit Pibow Does Not Work With Adafruit MicroSD Adapter

by adafruit on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi there, we sell the PiBows directly from pimoroni, sounds like they have made some changes. We'll update the product description, you can email support@adafruit for a case refund

adafruit

Re: New Run of Adafruit Pibow Does Not Work With Adafruit MicroSD Adapter

by phaedrus37 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:08 pm

I posted a note to the Pimoroni folks after your reply. Mark replied this morning and indicated that they expect a +/-10% variance in the acrylic thickness, which works fine for the Pi, but is less useful for the MicroSD adapter. I requested Mark's permission to forward his email onto you. This situation strikes me as one of managing end-user expectations for future customers — I hope that I'm not being an excessive pain. Your new bullet point on the Adafruit Pibow is elegant management.

I'm hopeful that I can source a couple of additional layer 1 cutouts from them.

jack
phaedrus37