Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Boost conversion
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Boost conversion

by tridentsx on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:34 pm

I am looking for information/circuit examples about boost conversion.

I want to be able to boost 5v from USB all the way up to 25v in small steps and have it s/w controlled by an MCU. What is the best/simplest way to implement this ?

-- Always boost to 25v and then regulate it down with a DAC controlled transistor ?
-- Control the boost circuit somehow by outputting different frequency from the MCU?
-- Other ways of achieving same goal ?

I would also like to know how to use the ADC to measure current to implement a shut off if a certain current level is exceeded. Would I do that by measure voltage drop over a shunt ?

I am working an an universal device programmer and this is the part I am getting stuck at generating the VPP :?:
tridentsx

Re: Boost conversion

by zener on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

-- Always boost to 25v and then regulate it down
Yes, with a MAX629 or similar
with a DAC controlled transistor
Something like that
-- Control the boost circuit somehow by outputting different frequency from the MCU?
You could, but that is probably a lot more difficult
-- Other ways of achieving same goal ?
I am sure there are many!
Would I do that by measure voltage drop over a shunt ?
You could, high-side shunt, low-side shunt. You could also look for the voltage dropping out.

zener

by tridentsx on Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the direction of the max629, have ordered a few for testing.

Carl
tridentsx

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:17 am

You can also look at the design page of the Ice Tube clock. That has a boost-converter circuit to drive the VFD display.

adafruit_support_bill