12mm LED strand WS2801 problem

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: 12mm LED strand WS2801 problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The analog strips are completely different from the digital strips. The LEDs are not individually addressable and all LEDs change color together. The tutorial links on the product description page will tell you how to hook them up.

fikri_m

Post by fikri_m »

Ok then..

Thanks for your information ada.. :)

Topsy

Post by Topsy »

Hello!

I just ran into a problem with my LEDs and though as this thread got used twice already, I may also use this one instead of starting another..

My 'problem' is that my wiring looks completely different than in the tutorial.

Here is a pic of how both ends looks by me: Image

I'm slightly confused as to what to do now. How should I now hook it up? would I need the two cables that 'end' before the arduino board?

I don't really have lots of knowledge in electrics but should manage to follow a tutorial but having too litle cable ends confused me somewhat..

If it matters, I bought this project pack off "play-zone" in switzerland.

I might add that they list themselfes as a distributor of your products. (so only kinda purchased at Adafruit...)

Thanks a lot!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Hmm those don't look anything like the pixels we have in stock and we don't think we've ever had pixels that look like that - can you check with the place you bought them from? Maybe they're substituting?

fikri_m

Post by fikri_m »

Hi there...

I have 12mm LED strand, also comes with ws2801 chip. But unfortunately it's not from Adalight project pack. Will a problem occured when I start the project using this LED?

Thank you

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

The colors and functions of the wires might be different than what's described in the tutorial, possibly different connectors or data direction as well. Ask the seller if a datasheet or wiring diagram is available. If not, you might still be able to puzzle it out...there's a finite number of connections, and no damage is likely to occur if connected backwards (as long as the power supply is 5V).

fikri_m

Post by fikri_m »

Hello there..

Sorry, am I correct... Is 5 volt 10 amperes power supply too much to power up this adalight project with 50leds ?? Can I use just 5 ampere ?

Thanks in advance

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

If you have a 5V, 5 Amp supply, then yes, that will work with 50 LEDs.

The 10 Amp supply will also work, if that's easier to acquire. It's totally fine if there's overhead in the Amps department (the LEDs will draw only what they need)...it's excess Volts that will damage them.

fikri_m

Post by fikri_m »

Thanks Mr Philip..

Oh one thing,, Why 5 volt 5 amperes or 10 amps is very difficult to find on electronic store?? They just say 12 volt. It wil burn the ws2801 right? can I simply stepped down the 12 volt Mr Philip ??

adafruit_support_bill

It is not very practical to regulate a 12v supply down to 5v. A regulator for 5v at 5A would cost as much as a 5v supply of similar power.

This supply will work:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/658

fikri_m

Post by fikri_m »

Allright, I'll check it out..

Oh BTW, is 3 amps enough to power up 50 leds ??

Thank you.

toreseng

Post by toreseng »

pburgess wrote:If you have a 5V, 5 Amp supply, then yes, that will work with 50 LEDs.

The 10 Amp supply will also work, if that's easier to acquire. It's totally fine if there's overhead in the Amps department (the LEDs will draw only what they need)...it's excess Volts that will damage them.
So I'm new to this all, but what is the main problem that will occur if you plug too many strands together?
Say the system requires 12V 6Amps but your supply only supports 12V 5Amps?

adafruit_support_bill

So I'm new to this all, but what is the main problem that will occur if you plug too many strands together?
Say the system requires 12V 6Amps but your supply only supports 12V 5Amps?
The current calculations are based on 'worst case' which is when all the LEDS are on at full brightness. Actual current demand can be considerably lower, depending on what you are doing. If your supply is too small and you try to run all leds at full brightness, the results may be one of the following:
1 - the voltage will sag and the strip will just be dimmer
2 - the voltage will sag and the strip will start to malfunction
3 - the power supply will overheat and shutdown

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”