16x2 displays gibberish only on 1st run after power up

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Zygo

16x2 displays gibberish only on 1st run after power up

Post by Zygo »

I am using the 16x2 LCD Pi plate and have found that when I run any of the test programs as the first thing after powering on the Pi, I get gibberish. However, if I then close the program and rerun it, it works fine. Every subsequent running of any program running the LCD works fine, until the next power off.

The gibberish looks like what was happening before I changed busnum to 1 (it is currently set at 1)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 16x2 displays gibberish only on 1st run after power up

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Could be a marginal solder joint on one of the data lines. Post photos of the front & back of the plate.

Zygo

Post by Zygo »

Ok, I will when I can, but it is very repeatable. Feels like a software related issue. Always a problem on first run, never after.

adafruit_support_bill

Feels like a software related issue. Always a problem on first run, never after.
Are you using the code from the tutorial? We have a few thousand of these out there and this is the first report of this kind of problem.

I do know that these displays are sensitive to noise and/or bad connections. One glitch during a command sequence and you have to reset the display to recover.

Zygo

Post by Zygo »

I found out the problem!

I needed go through all the modules and set busnum=1. I had done so in my code and in Adafruit_CharLCDPlate, but not in the imported modules(Adafruit_MCP230xx and Adafruit_I2C). Also, although I2C is supposed to autodetect the bus number, it didn't work until I replaced the autodetect stuff with "1".

adafruit_support_bill

Great! Thanks for the follow up.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”