Troubleshoot Data Logger Shield SD Card Not Initialised
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Troubleshoot Data Logger Shield SD Card Not Initialised

by padraigmac on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:16 pm

HI,

I purchased a self-assembly Data Logger Shield Kit a few months ago and have only gotten around to assembling it this week. The assembly went well, and the first trial for RTC was successful also. When I try CardInfo, the serial monitor is returning "SD Card Not Initialised". It does this whether there is an SD Card in there or not. I have tried two 4GB SD Cards, both source from Adafruit, and formatted both with SD Formatter V3.1, with no success.

I have continuity on the SD Card Holder pins I can test with multimeter, and the GND pins all match as they are supposed to.

I believe I assembled the board correctly - see video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlUvreFuPns

Has anyone got any ideas on where the problem can relate to?
padraigmac

Re: Troubleshoot Data Logger Shield SD Card Not Initialised

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:08 am

It is a little hard to see in the video, but some of the SD card holder solder joints look suspect. Testing with a multimeter is not conclusive - since poking an intermittent connection with a probe typically makes it conductive. Re-work any that are not smooth and shiny or have not flowed well onto both the pin and the pad.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Troubleshoot Data Logger Shield SD Card Not Initialised

by padraigmac on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Truly awesome support - you were correct in identifying the solder problem - I did not have enough on pin 7 - the connection looked good but no solder appeared to have flowed around connection - reflowed and the board is working well now.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards, Padraig
padraigmac