AVR ISP Shield Kit Question

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
highendaudioguy

AVR ISP Shield Kit Question

Post by highendaudioguy »

I am an old electronics guy getting started with microcontrollers. I have an Arduino Duemilanove board and just built the AVR ISP shield kit. After I load the bootloader can I just upload my sketch or are there other steps?
Take a few minutes to laugh at this old newbie. Thanks for the help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: AVR ISP Shield Kit Question

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You can burn sketches directly to the chip via the shield - you don't even need a bootloader: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer
Or once the bootloader is installed, you can put the chip in an Arduino and upload sketches via the bootloader.

highendaudioguy

Re: AVR ISP Shield Kit Question

Post by highendaudioguy »

Thanks for the help. Im assuming that I can upload without the computer if the sketch is loaded on the chip on the Duemilanove by pressing the "upload" button on the ISP? Without the bootloader?
And I also assume that in order to use the Duemilanove again Ill have to change the "upload.using" parameter back to "bootloader?
I am an old audio guy (35 years) so my focus is analog, although I have used digital logic many times before. My first steps into micrcontroller programming.
I am designing an incoming inspection tester for audio matching transformers, using the ATMega to produce a PWM 1kHz sine wave and measuring the impedance of a transformer tap to verify adherence to spec.
Im having a blast with Arduino. I appreciate the help. Novices, eh? LOL!!!
Thanks again
Joe D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”