WIFI on Occidentalis?????

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
bigguy1000

WIFI on Occidentalis?????

Post by bigguy1000 »

I have a complete and working RPI B with mouse, keyboard and HDMI adapters, miniature WIFI, 2 Samsung 4G SD cards, Ada 1A USB power, all working fine with current Raspian, no hub is used. Downloaded OccidentalisV2, good SHA1 on the image, boots slowly but lots of unsuccessful tries to load 8192cu wifi, everything else loads and works OK but not wifi. ifconfig shows no working connection. 5V power is 4.92 on the RPi. Wifi adapter is good since it works on Wheezy. What is next????? Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: WIFI on Occidentalis?????

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We don't recommend connecting WiFi adapters directly to the Pi. You should always use a powered hub.

occidentalis is based on an older wheezy distro, and there have been problems with 8192cu. See this thread:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... is#p193094

There may also be conflicts with other devices you are using. See this thread for an example of such a situation.

You might try disconnecting everything else, connecting the dongle through a powered hub, and then see if you can get a wifi connection.

Wifi on the Pi is notoriously flaky. See this thread for a discussion.

bigguy1000

Post by bigguy1000 »

OK, sigh, there went my OCCi Internet!!! This problem warning should be on the miniature WIFI (814) page, as it would help the buyer make good purchasing decisions, instead of finding out after much time and work!!!

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

PID 814 should work with occidentalis. Is that what you have?

bigguy1000

Post by bigguy1000 »

Yes, as you can see from my first posting on this forum, that is what I have, all from Adafruit!!!!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hi, Rick asked me to take a look at this problem.

You've said that ifconfig shows no working connection, but what's the exact output from

Code: Select all

ifconfig -v wlan0
Also, what do you see in response to

Code: Select all

grep wlan0 /var/log/dmesg
UPDATE: I just replicated the problem on equivalent hardware. I downloaded a fresh copy of Occidentalis v0.2, wrote it to an SD card, and booted a model B RasPi with a mini wifi dongle (http://www.adafruit.com/products/814) in the USB slots. The output from dmesg doesn't contain any reference to finding the device or creating a wlan0 interface.

I'm writing a fresh copy of the 2/9/2013 version of Wheezy to another SD card now, and will compare its behavior to that of occidentalis when it gets done.

bigguy1000

Post by bigguy1000 »

Ok, I will send the info when I can find a way to get it to the Internet!!! No WIFI with Occidentalis, and that is my only Internet connection!!!!

tldr

Post by tldr »

i am using the medium sized dongle, pid 1012, which is based on the same chipset. seems to me that when i used a fresh install of occidentalis v0.2 it would not work until i ran "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade." this will be a problem for someone without a wired connection available.

i don't recall having had the same problem with v0.1.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

@tldr: Thank you for that lead. I've been testing from raw download images, but will do an update with one and see if that changes things.

@BigGuy1000: If I get a configuration that works repeatably, I'll dump the card to an image file and put it online so you can download that.

spike15

Post by spike15 »

hi BigGuy1000 how on earth did you get the occidentalis running on a rpi b ? as ive been at it for 7 days with no joy at all just one big head acke as my rpi b has hynix ram does yours if so please post your card .img please so i can get mine working thanks

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”