Icetube clock instruction manual

For RTC breakouts, etc., use the Other Products from Adafruit forum

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
niznai

Icetube clock instruction manual

Post by niznai »

I found it absolutely impossible to find the instruction manual for my recently purchased ice tube clock. Where are they? And why are they so well hidden? Anyone?

srdevil

Re: Icetube clock instruction manual

Post by srdevil »

When you typ "Ice tube Clock" on google its the first link.

http://learn.adafruit.com/ice-tube-clock-kit/

Good luck with the project!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hi there,

thanks for the post, the complete guide is online, it's linked on the product page as well as the kit label.

http://learn.adafruit.com/ice-tube-clock-kit/overview
http://www.adafruit.com/products/194/

thanks,
adafruit support

niznai

Post by niznai »

I have visited all those pages already and the links and there is no instruction manual anywhere. Is it possible the link does not appear in my browser for some reason? I am using Google Chrome on an Ubuntu platform, but I have tried using Chrome on my mac and I had the same result.

Any direct link?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

these are the direct links, it sounds like you are having net/browser issues? can you view this page?

http://learn.adafruit.com/ice-tube-clock-kit/overview

phild13

Post by phild13 »

If your not wanting the online version(s) or for some reason are having issues with your browser then you can get the info in a pdf. Here is the direct link.
http://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf ... ck-kit.pdf

niznai

Post by niznai »

Thank you guys, found them in the end. Still, annoying you have to go through all those pages to find it. A link to the PDF should be on the clock shop page, I guess.

My problem was that I bought a second kit to take to my nephew in a country where i am not sure they'll have access to the internet that easily to see the instructions on line, so I had to print the whole PDF to take with me when I go over.

Nevermind. I've done mine, works brilliantly, really nice design, build, instructions, everything. One comment, the display board is too close to the right side and when the acrylic panel is put in place it hits the protruding terminals of the comb connector, so I had to file those down about 1mm. This way it clears with a sliver of a gap.

Now I have another question. What is supposed to happen if you disconnect the power supply? Does the clock still run but with no display? Or should it run with display? Mine doesn't have the display on and I am not sure it keeps time when mains power supply is unplugged (I didn't run the test after I set the clock up to the correct time).

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

the display board is too close to the right side and when the acrylic panel is put in place it hits the protruding terminals of the comb connector
Have not heard of this issue before. Can you post a photo of it?
What is supposed to happen if you disconnect the power supply?
The clock should keep time but the display will shut down. If the clock does not keep time, check that the coin-cell battery is installed and has 3v. If you still have problems, post photos of the front and back of the board.

niznai

Post by niznai »

Difficult to take pictures that will show clearance with the case closed because I have to shoot at close range through a reflective plastic and if opened, you won't see how far the panel is. I'll try my best. But I could do some measurements on the second kit I have and see if there'll be any interference there.

Cell shows 2.96V.

Had a quick read through the forum and it seems other people had the same problem and cured it by installing another chip with software developed by someone on the forum. Not really a path I'd like to take. I'll get another battery and try again (I might try the one in the other kit I have).

Is there a way to install a 9V backup battery (the kind you find in computers) that would give enough supply for a decent while (running the display as well)? I am thinking a battery across the input jack that kicks in like the small one, when power supply is detected dropping? What is the drain of the clock?

PS. Okay, I tested the clock with the battery from the second kit (3.2V measured out of package) and the clock does not keep time when mains supply is unplugged. I tested over half an hour.

adafruit_support_bill

Cell shows 2.96V.
That should be good.

The most common causes of timekeeping problems during power outages are:
- Battery problems. Weak or dead battery. Forgetting to put the blob of solder on the pad under the battery holder.
- Soldering issues - Installing the parts wrong usually makes the clock not run at all. But excess flux (especially burnt flux) around the oscillator circuit can make the oscillator unreliable.
- Firmware? - Some users have reported an improvement using the firmware modifications from forum member "jarchie". Jarchie has done a lot of nice work and added a lot of features. I can recommend his firmware as an upgrade - regardless of whether you have any oscillator issues.
Is there a way to install a 9V backup battery (the kind you find in computers) that would give enough supply for a decent while (running the display as well)?
You could plug the 9v adapter into a computer UPS. Not sure about a 9v UPS. I imagine such things exist, but I do not know of any sources offhand.

The exact current requirements of the clock depend somewhat on the brightness setting. But it will be in the 100mA range.

niznai

Post by niznai »

Ahem.

What's a UPS?

Nah, my soldering is quite nice actually.

I noticed the posts where cleaning the board of excess flux is recommended, I'll look at trying that even though right now I don't feel like opening the clock again. We'll see.

adafruit_support_bill

niznai

Post by niznai »

Wow. I think that's slightly over engineered.

I was just thinking I could use a 9V cell if there is such a thing.

If I plugged a 9V cell in place of the 3V one, would that drive the display?

adafruit_support_bill

I was just thinking I could use a 9V cell if there is such a thing.
Rechargeable battery packs come in many voltages and chemistries. The clock will run off anything from 9-12v. The problem is the recharging requirements of the battery. If you just hook it up in parallel, most cells will be damaged by overcharging.

A UPS has a charger circuit designed to keep the battery topped off and ready for use. They do come in all sizes. Here is a relatively compact 9v version: https://shieldtechsecurity.com/sts3-pwr9b-kpd1.html
If I plugged a 9V cell in place of the 3V one, would that drive the display?
That'll fry your processor.

niznai

Post by niznai »

You're right, I only realised after posting that the processor runs off 5V.

Bummer. Back to square one.

I'll try to clean the board of any residue and see what happens. Is isopropylic alcohol (the usual electronics cleaning agent in spray cans) okay?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Clock Kits (discontinued)”