Still trying out all the fun things that can be done with my shiny new x0xb0x. One of them was checking into the c0ntr0l program thingy. The CVS repo hasn't been touched in 3 years and one of the comments said something like, "we should be ready for a beta release soon!" As you can imagine, I didn't have much confidence that it would even run... and it didn't.
But with some tweaking, I got it to come up and work mostly okay on my Ubuntu machine. It looks like wxPython has changed quite a bit over the last three years and much that was probably deprecated then simply generates a fatal error now. Ditto for a few things in Python. The patch below addresses these main points:
- the "wx" prefix on methods, variables, and constants seems to be no more
- evt.KeyCode apparently became an int rather than a method which returns an int
- booleans must be 'True' or 'False', not 'true', 'TRUE', 'false', or 'FALSE'
- 'None' rather than 'NULL'
Fixing these allowed c0ntr0l to work on my Ubuntu 8.04 machine. The last three changes shouldn't harm anything, but I'm not sure if removing the "wx" prefix is really the right thing to do since the wxPython docs still have it everywhere. I'd be happy if someone could test it on their machine.
Since the forum won't let me attach files with a .diff or .txt extension, I've uploaded the patch here: http://img.bityard.net/forum/c0ntr0l-patch.diff