Ethernet arduino Questions

by jcarrr on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:16 pm

I can load the examples into the board. Serial communication with the board is what should be expected.
No Ethernet communication.

Is there a reset button on the board? I seem able to reset with the power applied only by opening a new serial monitor.

There is a device soldered to the board, immediately by the reset button, that looks like a button, but no moving parts. Do I not understand something about buttons?

Not only is there no direct communication, using Wire Shark I see no sign of the board on the ethernet. Lots of packets where traffic from the board should be present. I see my desk machine trying to communicate with the address assigned to the board.

Watching clues from serial monitor, it seems like it times out much too fast. I wonder if it needs to broadcast its presence so the router knows it is available?
jcarrr

Re: Ethernet arduino Questions

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 am

Do you get a link indication on the board or router when it is plugged in and powered on?
Have you selected an address on the same subnet as your PC?
adafruit_support_bill

by jcarrr on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:33 pm

I am comfortable that addresses have been set properly. Four permutations of two proven good cables to two proven good ports on the dumbest little hub in the office were utilized. Using the webclient example I see no sign of the board attempting to connect with google.com. With the cable to the hub connected, the amber lamp on the UNO comes on upon application of power to the board. The green lamp flashes intermittently . The RX LED flashes regularly, the TX every few seconds. L9 flashes on it's own schedule, often in some kind of sympathy with RX but not always.

The packet sniffer never detects any communication that can be attributed to the UNO, either MAC or IP address. Instantly upon connecting a different controller board to the same cable, activity from the controller is evident to the sniffer. I keep thinking there is something I overlooked in configuring the board. Is the proper select line for the board the software library default? It is difficult to believe the the board did not test successfully at some point before it came to me. I will print out the schematic and ring out he relevant traces this evening.

What about the reset switch? is it supposed to click like other switches or is the part I am looking at not a switch?

We have adopted the policy of programming everything to broadcast onto the network an attempt to connect to it self several times upon power up. Nothing come of this except the sniffer can show that the device is present on the net. Also it helps one determine the last IP address that was programmed into it. Not difficult to do and very useful.

Thanks for the attention

jc
jcarrr

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:54 pm

I am comfortable that addresses have been set properly.

Even the' dumbest little hub' these days is a switching hub. (I keep an old 10 base-T relic around for when I need a truly dumb hub) If the board is not configured to the same subnet as your PC, the packets will not get routed and Wireshark will not see them. The fact that Tx is flashing every few seconds would tend to indicate that packets are going out on the wire.

What about the reset switch?

I'll look into that. There is one on the schematic. I'll go grab a board and check it out.
adafruit_support_bill

by jcarrr on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:29 pm

I agree about the hubs/routers/what ever being progressively smarter. That is why I connected another controller board to the same cable and port. The sniffer had no problem seeing the activity from the other board under the same conditions from adapter in the desktop desktop
jcarrr

by jcarrr on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Just for reference I used a Netgear FS105 and a Netgear DS108. Each is pretty plain
jcarrr

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:39 pm

There is a reset button. It is located on the corner of the board next to the Ethernet socket.

I don 't have an FS105 or DS105, but I can verify that nothing gets past a GS105. I do see ICMP actvity coming from the board when using an antique Cisco repeating hub, or when connected direct (PC to Arduino). To take the hub out of the equation, try connecting direct to your PC. A regular cable will work if your PC does auto-detect (most do these days). If not you will need a crossover cable.
adafruit_support_bill

by jcarrr on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 pm

The button is pretty obvious once you look where it is. It was hidden behind the adapter every time I looked at it and I was so convinced it should be beside the reset riser pin that I could not even look anywhere else for it.

That transmissions from other devices on the same wire convince me that it should be visible. I will dream up and perform more tests before I make more noise.

Thanks,

jc
jcarrr

by jcarrr on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:08 pm

I have done everything I think is reasonable to establish contact with the board, or even detect its presence. We use devices similar to this routinely in our instrumentation and SCADA work.

If I purchase another one, would you test a device to prove it works and then send that individual part to me?

John C
jcarrr

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:21 am

Are you saying that even with a direct connection you do not see anything from the board via WireShark?

If so, contact suppoort@adafruit.com about a replacement and link this thread in your message.
adafruit_support_bill

by jcarrr on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Time to eat crow.

Like a lot of things, once it starts working, you cannot kill it. Works perfectly.

With the the Web Server example in the board

I first got in contact after installing an additional Ethernet card in the computer, tied the IP address of the card down to match the address programmed into the UNO. Suddenly it worked and WireShark could see everything. The connection was with was with a straight through cat5 cable.

I thought I had found the problem.

The UNO was then programmed to fit with the LAN and plugged into the hub at my desk. It immediately worked perfectly. It was not a matter of crossed signals, the card took care of everything. The UNO is available from every computer on the LAN that I could test from.

Under torture I could not reveal any difference in how it was connected, one day to the next.

I will ask the IT guys about how the board should properly announce its self to be known to the entire LAN

Thanks for the help

jc
jcarrr