“A Curriculum of Toys” @make

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

“A Curriculum of Toys” @make

Post by adafruit »

Every pundit cries that education is broken, the standards of standard-based education are mixed up. I agree completely! All we really need are good toys. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about a curriculum of life skills and the toys that would support it (and not only because I have a 2-year-old).

What are the fundamental things kids should know to help them understand and enjoy the complex physical world we live in, to modify or repair it in the future, to succeed as adults? How do we enable kids to be masters of their destiny? Can we do it with nothing but good toys and experiences? Could a curriculum of engaging toys be so powerful that the role of schools is reduced to something manageable, like merely socialization?

The best toys and games can be foundational lessons in life, teaching how stuff works, how stories are told, how strategies play out. Here’s my list of core life skills I think can be supported taught by toys. It’s a work in progress. I’d love to hear your ideas.
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/1 ... -toys.html

applevision

Re: “A Curriculum of Toys” @make

Post by applevision »

Completely brilliant!

(Sorry to resurrect an old post)

But this is important stuff. I wonder if we can use some of the principles that are used in the Khan academy to extend and expand these beyond some of the physical toys and into the electronic realm. But I think that the two keys are:
1) Interactivity
2) A sense of "play"

This is what the Khan academy lacks right now (in addition to the subject matter), and I'd like to think about that.

Also, wondering about sending a young apprentice with someone who is a true "Maker"...

Any thoughts?

p.s. Just saw this: http://adafruit.com/academy (I'm a newbie)

How can we help?!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”