Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Chumby Hacker board noob question, serial problems
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Chumby Hacker board noob question, serial problems

by redtank1971 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:00 am

Hello,
Just received my CHB from Adafruit. I'm trying to follow the Serial tutorial and have altered my FDTI according to the photo like this: black to ground, unused space, orange (TXD) to Rx, and yellow (RXD) to Tx. From there I hook the board up to my pc's usb port and attach a 5v power supply, but my pc does not see the CHB. I already have the FDTI drivers loaded because I have a Uno Ethernet board that I'm using for another project. Where am I going wrong? My pc's system is Windows Vista home premium 64. Last, is there another way to connect to the CHB besided usb/serial to get it set up?

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

Re: Chumby Hacker board noob question, serial problems

by redtank1971 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:53 am

Hello,
I may have solved my own problem: after being unable to detect my CHB with one pc, I hooked it up to another pc in the house that is running XP, and it found my CHB, so I'm guessing it is a driver issue with the 1st pc running a different FTDI driver than the second. Is this the correct URL for the driver needed for this board?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 am

The driver is actually for the FTDI cable itself. The link you posted is the correct one.

The UNO does not use an FTDI chip, so it requires a different driver.

adafruit_support_bill

by redtank1971 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Support,
Okay, thanks for the responce. I'm using the Arduino IDE serial monitor and am getting some strange characters when I login and do a "ls";

login
chumby-:/ # root
-/bin/sh: root: not found
chumby-:/ # ls
LICENSES etc linuxrc opt sbin usr
bin home lock proc share var
bitmap lib lost+found psp sys www
dev libexec mnt root tmp
chumby-:/ # 

Is this a result of the IDE, or some other malfunction?

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm not a Chumby expert, but those look like terminal escape sequences to me. You probably want to try a terminal emulator program instead of the IDE serial monitor.

adafruit_support_bill

by redtank1971 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Support,
Yes, started using Putty for a terminal and no longer having issues with Windows. On the other hand, trying to access the sd card when in Linux is another story. Im running Ubuntu 11.04 and when I plug in the FTDI cable, it does not reccognize the device. While in terminal window I did a lsmod to see what packages are loaded, and found ftdi_sio and usbserial. Is there another package and/or driver required?

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:26 am

You might want to try plugging it into a different port. Also, check that your FTDI VCP driver is up-to-date: [url]http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm[/url

adafruit_support_bill