Chumby Hacker board noob question, serial problems
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Chumby Hacker board noob question, serial problems

by redtank1971 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Hello,
Just received my CHB from Adafruit. I'm trying to follow the Serial tutorial and have altered my FDTI according to the photo like this: black to ground, unused space, orange (TXD) to Rx, and yellow (RXD) to Tx. From there I hook the board up to my pc's usb port and attach a 5v power supply, but my pc does not see the CHB. I already have the FDTI drivers loaded because I have a Uno Ethernet board that I'm using for another project. Where am I going wrong? My pc's system is Windows Vista home premium 64. Last, is there another way to connect to the CHB besided usb/serial to get it set up?

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

Re: Chumby Hacker board noob question, serial problems

by redtank1971 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:53 am

Hello,
I may have solved my own problem: after being unable to detect my CHB with one pc, I hooked it up to another pc in the house that is running XP, and it found my CHB, so I'm guessing it is a driver issue with the 1st pc running a different FTDI driver than the second. Is this the correct URL for the driver needed for this board?

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:04 am

The driver is actually for the FTDI cable itself. The link you posted is the correct one.

The UNO does not use an FTDI chip, so it requires a different driver.
adafruit_support_bill

by redtank1971 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Support,
Okay, thanks for the responce. I'm using the Arduino IDE serial monitor and am getting some strange characters when I login and do a "ls";

login
chumby-:/ # root
-/bin/sh: root: not found
chumby-:/ # ls
LICENSES etc linuxrc opt sbin usr
bin home lock proc share var
bitmap lib lost+found psp sys www
dev libexec mnt root tmp
chumby-:/ # 

Is this a result of the IDE, or some other malfunction?

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm not a Chumby expert, but those look like terminal escape sequences to me. You probably want to try a terminal emulator program instead of the IDE serial monitor.
adafruit_support_bill

by redtank1971 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Support,
Yes, started using Putty for a terminal and no longer having issues with Windows. On the other hand, trying to access the sd card when in Linux is another story. Im running Ubuntu 11.04 and when I plug in the FTDI cable, it does not reccognize the device. While in terminal window I did a lsmod to see what packages are loaded, and found ftdi_sio and usbserial. Is there another package and/or driver required?

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:26 am

You might want to try plugging it into a different port. Also, check that your FTDI VCP driver is up-to-date: [url]http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm[/url
adafruit_support_bill