Error when trying to upload to Uno Ethernet board
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Error when trying to upload to Uno Ethernet board

by redtank1971 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello,
I've been trying to use my serial ttl camera with my Uno Ethernet board, up to this point the only thing I can get to work is the Comm tool. I've had the camera running well with an Uno board and all the sample files worked well with the Uno. One of the things I discovered is I didn't replace the "boards.txt" with the new one, so now that has been done. After replacing that text file I'm getting this error when trying to upload:

Binary sketch size: 18228 bytes (of a 32256 byte maximum)
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

I'd override the error, but do not understand how I can use the -F unless there is a command line means of uploading. Up to now, I've not been able to get the Snapshot and MotionDetect samples to work with this board.
redtank1971

Re: Error when trying to upload to Uno Ethernet board

by redtank1971 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:01 pm

I forgot to add this information: when I received my Uno Ethernet board, I did the bootloader upgrade and have used both FTDI friend and FTDI cable to upload to this board...

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:19 am

So it was working with the old boards.txt? Which version of the IDE are you using?
adafruit_support_bill

by redtank1971 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:50 pm

Support,
I'm using version 1.0, and yes, I've been using the old boards.txt up till yesterday. When I couldn't get the serial TTL camera to work with the board (pins 2 & 3 and SoftwareSerial.h) I started looking again at the online documentation here at Adafruit to see what is required to use this board and discovered the boards.txt thing. Funny sort of error, my connections are just fine :-)

Have you tried a camera with this board to see if it works with the sample files?

Thank you,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:33 pm

I think you want to go back to the 1.0 release version of the boards.txt. Boards1.0.txt was for the the 1.0 Beta release. I believe that the current version in the 1.0 download has the correct configuration for the Uno Ethernet.

Serial communication with the TTL camera is a different issue. Have been able to talk to the camera with the COMM tool?
adafruit_support_bill

by redtank1971 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Support,
Okay, will change back to original boards.txt. Yes, the camera works fine with Comm tool, just the same as with an Uno. The only difference are the pins being used and having to use SoftwareSerial library, I don't know if there is an issue with the library and this board. I'm confident I have the cameras RX and TX correctly positioned wither digital pins 2 & 3 as well.

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971