Suggestions to get Serial TTL camera working with Uno Ethernet board?

by redtank1971 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:43 am

Support,
As stated in the topic posted below this one, I cannot get my serial ttl camera working with the Uno Ethernet board I purchased. I've done what you have suggested, and answered your questions. To sum this up, the camera works using Comm tool, but not when using other pins on the board (I've only used 2 & 3 and SoftwareSerial library). The camera works well with a Uno board and all the sample files, just not with the Uno Ethernet.
Suggestions/solutions?

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

Re: Suggestions to get Serial TTL camera working with Uno Ethernet board?

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:18 am

The camera works well with a Uno board and all the sample files, just not with the Uno Ethernet.

I don't know of any reason why pins 2 & 3 on the UNO Ethernet would behave differently than on a standard UNO. These pins are not used by the Ethernet module. I haven't tried that particular combination of hardware, but I can hook one up later today.
adafruit_support_bill

by redtank1971 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Support,
I don't know why either. I'll try different pins on the board later today. Only other thing I can think of, is both example files also write to the sd card, so perhaps it's not that the camera isn't working, rather the pictures being taken are not being written to the card. I can read files from a loaded sd card, but I've not tried writing a file to the card other than with the camera. One other interesting point: with either sample file, the serial monitor will open, but no text is displayed... All settings for the monitor are correct.

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:53 pm

I set up an Arduino Ethernet and connected the camera as in the tutorial and it appears to work fine.

Do you have the 10K resistor divider on the serial line?
Are you using the SD card on the Arduino Ethernet, or a separate SD adapter? Make sure you have the SD configured for the correct interface.
adafruit_support_bill

by redtank1971 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Support,
I am using the 10K voltage divider per instructions. I'm using the sd card reader on the Arduino Ethernet (A/E) board. I can read text files that I've preloaded on the card in the card reader when I run a web server sketch on the A/E board. Please expound on your question regarding the "correct interface" you ask about, I'm not understanding your question.

Again, both sample files MotionDetect and SnapShot work fine with camera and MicroSdcard break out board with my Uno r3. If I set both Uno r3 and A/E boards next to each other, sample files run on the Uno and not the A/E, and serial monitor does not work on the A/E board.

Thank you for help and suggestions,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by redtank1971 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Support,
Update to my last post: I switched from the IDE's serial monitor (didn't work with A/E board ) to Putty, and now I have debug information. When running the sample file Snapshot, the camera is recognized and a picture is taken after 3 seconds, however, it will only find the camera when 640 x 480 image size is used, not the other two, and the image written to the sd card is empty (zero bytes).
Sample file MotionDetect will indicate the camera has been found, about 50% of the time, or it states "No camera found?". Same thing with the 640 x 480 image as mentioned above, and when it does claim to see motion, a file with zero bytes is written to sd card. For what its worth, "#define chipSelect 4" is being used.

Thanks,
Cris L.
redtank1971

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:03 am

OK. Pin4 is the correct chip select for the SD on that board. It sounds like you are able to access the card.
Post the complete debug output you get from a snapshot.
adafruit_support_bill

by redtank1971 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Support,
I've got the camera working an writing to the sdcard, this is what I found: I was trying to power the camera off the available 5v provided by the A/E's 5v pin, and it was not enough, probably due to the IR leds being on most the time (dark room), second, my 2 gig sd card was becoming flaky when I tested it using the Sd Card Info sample sketch provided with the SD library, I use that sketch to check and see what has been written to the card, as it saves removing and checking with my pc...I was getting a message stating that card had been found but that it may not be hooked up right... Funny thing is the card still works well in one of my cell phones.

Thanks for your help,
Cris L.
redtank1971