Mintyboost momentarily cuts out
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Mintyboost momentarily cuts out

by FickleBJT on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I just finished my mintyboost the other day and I've noticed that, after charging my phone for 10-15 minutes (I have an Epic 4G Touch being charged with 2 Eneloop AA's), the charger starts to cut out at irregular intervals for about a quarter second at a time. It's just long enough for my phone to beep as if it has been unplugged and plugged back in.

The batteries are freshly charged, so they are not dying. On the other hand, I have noticed that the LT1302 gets VERY hot when in use. It doesn't seem to be over the operating limit of 100 C but it is definitely too hot to touch.

Thank you!
FickleBJT

Re: Mintyboost momentarily cuts out

by FickleBJT on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:54 pm

UPDATE:

I just used an infrared thermometer to try and get an approximate surface temperature for the chip, and the highest reading I got was just barely under 100 C, so it seems overheating might be a possibility?
FickleBJT

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Sounds like it is running pretty close to the limit. The cutouts are probably the thermal protection kicking in. Some devices will try to pull more than 500mA. If you haven't tried already, you might try shorting D+ & D- to emulate a "standard" usb charger.
adafruit_support_bill

by FickleBJT on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:28 pm

I tried shorting the two data pins and it now no longer cuts out momentarily, but it still gets extremely hot. Anything else I can do?
FickleBJT

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:55 pm

As long as it is under 100C you should be OK. Your phone probably thought it was connected to a wall charger before and tried to pull more than 500mA.
adafruit_support_bill