Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Looking for a soldering iron, Hakko fx-888?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Looking for a soldering iron, Hakko fx-888?

by dumle29 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Hello :) so, i have decided to buy myself a propper soldering station for once. The one i have right now, is a velleman vtss5, and yes, its cheap, but you get what you pay for, and in this case that is:

• One type of tip
  • A coard to the handpiece as thick and stiff as the one for your desktop PSU
  • A station, where temperature controlled means light dimmer circuit

Yeah thats fine, it was dirt cheap, but now i have thrown myself into an all SMD project, and for that i need a chissel tip with a dimpel in it. So i started looking, and i found that is was very hard to find a station, under my budget, that would allow me to buy and use such a tip.

I found the Hakko fx-888 and was thrilled, but soon discovered, that it doesn't support hakkos BCM/CM tips :(

so i found this:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/02/ ... mpatibles/

and wondered if they would fit in a hakko Fx-888 or if you knew of any similare tips?

bottomline - Do you know of any soldering stations that are under my 125£ ~ 150€ ~ 200$ budget, where i still have the option of getting some of those dragsoldering tips, or should i go for an ebay hakko fx-936?

Thanks a lot :)
dumle29