Lady Ada's Bento Box
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Lady Ada's Bento Box

by stardolphin on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:28 am

Recently, I'd been pondering ways to transport my Arduino stuff to work. I'm twisted... but, I like the idea of 'prototyping' at lunch. As luck would have it, within days of pondering this idea... Adafruit offers 'Lady Ada's Bento Box'. Perfect!

Yesterday, I received the product and overall - I'm quite pleased. But, I have a minor complaint. The acrylic plate is cut to accommodate a half-size breadboard with two 'tabs' on the right-side and three 'tabs' on the top. The supplied half-size breadboard meets this requirement. But, my other half-size breadboards do not. Additionally, the half-size breadboard sold on Adafruit does not (based on photo of product) meet this requirement either. These 'other' half-size breadboards have two 'tabs' on the left-side and three 'tabs' on the bottom. I wish Adafruit had cut the additional notches into the acrylic plate to accommodate other half-size breadboards.

Beyond this minor annoyance, I heartily recommend the product.

P.S. Yes, I could flip the other half-size breadboards around... but, the letters and numbers would be upside down.
Last edited by stardolphin on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
stardolphin

Re: Lady Ada's Bento Box

by adafruit on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:52 am

all breadboard makers are slightly different, thats why we made sure it matches the breadboard we stock and sell and the kit comes with one of those. if you'd like to adjust the layout, please visit the thingiverse page linked from the product where you can download the files and have them custom cut :)
adafruit

by stardolphin on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:22 am

Understandable. Just a thought... by adding the additional notches to the left and bottom-sides of the half-size breadboard cutout, you'd cover a wider variety of half-size breadboards without compromising the integrity of the acrylic cutout.

Thank you for mentioning the thingiverse web page. I had no idea the acrylic cutout design was readily available. I'll check it out. :D
stardolphin

by cstcyr on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 am

So for multiple reasons I started constructing my own bento box. I have access to a laser cutter, I thought it would be fun to piece one together from my own parts and the kit happens to be out of stock at this very instant.

I'm sure I can figure out what mounting hardware will work best for me but I'm curious if any one knows the exact specifications of the mounting hardware included in the kit.

If anyone knows, or if someone at adafruit wouldn't mind clueing me in it would be appreciated.

For fun... here is what I have put together so far. A shiny new Leonardo, a Make tin with a techshop organizer inside. The acrylic is cut from a white opaque sheet and I just ordered a blue otter box for it to go into. I had a fun time customizing my new travel kit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj1ue62rnbgmepe/2012-06-12%2022.17.37.jpg

cstcyr

by cstcyr on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:16 pm

Still looking to find out the sizes of the mounting hardware included in the bento kit.

Thanks

cstcyr