No
No votes
Shuffle? What's that?
18%

Total votes : 11

x0xb0x sequencer: Is 'shuffle' planned?

by sonicwarrior on Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:11 am

Hi there,

do you plan to include a 'shuffle' parameter like in the TR-909/TB-303 in the x0xb0x?
sonicwarrior

by adafruit on Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:44 pm

i had to ask what this is...apparently this was caused in the original by the poor-quality of the RC oscillator of the original synth.

unfortunatly, we use a high quality (16.00MHz) crystal oscillator.

i assure you that adding shuffle is completely possible. basically, theres an interrupt thats twice for every 16'th note, which turns the note on and off. to add shuffle, just put in "delay_ms(10)" for a 10ms shuffle . or you can generate a random value between 0 and 9ms (for example), by calling "delay_ms(rand() % 10)"
adafruit

by sonicwarrior on Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:12 am

ladyada wrote:i assure you that adding shuffle is completely possible. basically, theres an interrupt thats twice for every 16'th note, which turns the note on and off. to add shuffle, just put in "delay_ms(10)" for a 10ms shuffle . or you can generate a random value between 0 and 9ms (for example), by calling "delay_ms(rand() % 10)"

Great!
But that's not speed/ tempo dependant, is it possible to create a variable speed dependant "shuffle"? E.g. with a parameter value from 0 to 10 or whatever makes sense.

Notes on the steps 1, 5, 9 and 13 should not be affected!

The "shuffle" in the TB-303 (I don't own one) was a misunderstanding with someone else:
He meant the feature to use triplets (three notes instead of two sixteenth parts).

Sorry for my bad english, I hope I could describe what I meant.
sonicwarrior

by adafruit on Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:02 pm

its certainly possible. i have no plans to add such a feature, but if you know C then it would be pretty easy to do it yourself...
adafruit

by adafruit on Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:37 pm

i looked up the 'shuffle' capabilities of the 909 (and other 909-like drum machines)

if you're talking about setting the 'shuffle' of each note of a pattern seperately...well, thats a little challenging (but certainly possible) since you'd have to add an extra byte of storage for every note. You would probably enter the data by using the X button to select the amt of shuffle when entering in pattern info. iof course, your old patterns would have to be re entered.

if you are thinking more of just a random push/pull then you would have to write a delay function that used the tempo (which can be retreived by calling get_tempo()) and a random number to calculate the # of ms to delay. this is a bit easier because the sequencer isn't modified.
adafruit

by sonicwarrior on Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:07 am

Hmm, we are currently discussing the "shuffle" feature in the Acidcode board.
sonicwarrior

by 303user on Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:48 pm

Uhm, the TB-303 does NOT have shuffle! What it does have is slightly erratic timing.
303user

shuffle

by mactac on Tue May 03, 2005 5:20 pm

no, no, no....

shuffle is not random timing. it's the ability to add "swing" to the pattern. Each 2nd 16th note is delayed by a user-selectable amount (they are all delayed the same amount). it's a pretty standard thing that almost every drum machine does, and 100% of modern sequencers do.

Without shuffle, house music probably wouldn't exist as we know it. listen to the difference between house hihats & techno hihats.

shuffle is extremely important if you want things to 'groove'. it is NOT the same as 'humanizing' by adding a tiny random fluctuation in timing, it's VERY noticeable.

Future-retro is adding shuffle to their products.... it think it would be an absolute CRIME to make a sequncer nowaday without shuffle.

if you need more info on it, I can send you a couple of sample MP3's that demonstrate it very clearly.
mactac

by starpause on Wed May 11, 2005 9:00 pm

easy solution: slave the x0xb0x to some swung gear box!

banned, i've been drooling over this kit since the url was pasted to me ... that was hours ago ...
starpause

by fOZf8 on Wed May 11, 2005 11:14 pm

Yeah, it's plagued me for a few months...I tried to forget about it, pawn it off as 'just another 303 emu'...can't be done, somehow I kept ending up here again
....my soldering iron must be lonely, nothing much to mess up lately, it needs some lovely analogue coupling me thinks :P
For your electronik listening pleasures
Limbik Frequencies
---
Mindset Studio Music and Media
Mindsetstudios
fOZf8