Website feedback: Bandwidth and flashy images

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
burntcrispy

Website feedback: Bandwidth and flashy images

Post by burntcrispy »

Your new site it beautiful, but I don't visit it unless I have too, for two reasons.

1. Bandwidth
My only option for internet at home is cellular 4g. It's $15 a gig, If I go over, with unlimited billing. There is 5 of us sharing this connection that we all use for all of our surfing; A gig doesn't go as far as they try to convince you. We don't have a lot of money, we have to save everything we can for our hobbies, items like you sell.

Just a few minutes on your site wastes as much data as I usually go through in a day for all my surfing. On top of that there is more pictures and flashing than information. It is just plain wasteful from a bandwidth/data point of view.

2. Distracting
It is really hard for me to focus on a tutorial or a products specs when there are images flashing all around the information I am trying to read; Worst the majority of the time they aren't even related to this project or product. It is like trying to work on a project but every few seconds a friend wants to point out something cool he found or show you what your project looks like if you could actually focus to finish it; You might be interested but It makes it really hard to work. Maybe it's my ADD.

I know video and flashy pictures is the way everybody is going and might help catch some customers but for me it does the opposite.
I miss the old days where I actually got to choose to look at pictures and videos, and when I did they where more useful than pretty.

Thanks for the good products and tutorials, and realize that I am probably in the minority and a lot of your customers have unlimited bandwidth and don't know or care about how much bandwidth/data your site uses and loves the videos and flashy images. But I know there are at least some others out there with limited internet options and I wanted to speak up as we seem to have been forgotten.

adafruit

Re: Website feedback: Bandwidth and flashy images

Post by adafruit »

Thanks for feedback, we'll share this with our team.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”