Led cube

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
viper905

Led cube

Post by viper905 »

Makezine did a great job with the 3x3x3 led cube, but is there a way to make it a 4x4x4 or a 5x5x5 cube using the minipov3 kit? 8)

mtbf0

Re: Led cube

Post by mtbf0 »

the cube uses one pin for each of nine leds on a level, then three more pins to select a level.

4x4x4 would require 16 pins + 4 pins, which would be a perfect fit for a 20 pin microcontroller if it you didn't need vcc, ground and reset.

then there's charlieplexing, a technique of which i have an imperfect understanding. you could wire a 4x4x4 cube with nine i/o lines or a 5x5x5 cube with twelve i/o lines, but the wiring would be really challenging.

viper905

Post by viper905 »

Thanks for the insight. I might look into getting either another microconrtoller or look into charlieplexing.

gwv2002

Post by gwv2002 »

Hi,

I'm working on the 3x3 cube and see the placement of 8 wires but not the 9th anode, cathode and resistor. I have figured out a cube with eight lights per level but I'm curious about the mysterious 9th. Can anyone enLighten me?

Thanks.
gw

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

you'll have to solder directly to the portd pads where the socket is soldered to the circuit board. you can take a look at the source code for the project to figure out which pins are used. there will be one for the ninth anode and one each for the common cathodes of each of the three levels of the cube.

Pixelmonster

Post by Pixelmonster »

Hi,

I'd like to build a LED cube, but I didn't found a circuit board layout on the web.
I only found a picture of the circuit diagram, but I'd need the original file. (I think it's designed with eagle ?!)
If someone have the layout, I'd only need the original, because I'd manipulate it myself.

Please help me.

Thanks, Michael

PS: Sorry for bad english :oops:

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

Pixelmonster wrote:I'd like to build a LED cube, but I didn't found a circuit board layout on the web.
the particular led cube under discussion here is based on lady ada's minipov3 board. the project was originally present as a weekend project on the make magazine blog. it is described on mitch altman's site, here.

Pixelmonster

Post by Pixelmonster »

Thanks for your answer and sorry for my bad phrasing.

I know how to build the cube, but I need the circuit board layout of the MiniPov v3.
If I have this, I could add a resistor and switch the led sockets to simple pads for soldering, ...

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Eagle files are on the MiniPOV3 web page: http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov3/download.html

Pixelmonster

Post by Pixelmonster »

I knew this page, but I didn't saw this link.

Thank you very very much!

Fast and good help, I like this forum!

Thanks!!!

Pixelmonster

Post by Pixelmonster »

Hi,

it's me again (sorry :( )

Now I built my LED Cube with a manipulated circuit board and it's working quiet good.

But it has a big problem. It's flickering and I don't know why.

Do you know why?

Thanks, Michael

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”