Need help with buying Adafruit products

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pflamm

Need help with buying Adafruit products

Post by pflamm »

Lets start out that I have almost no experience with this stuff. With that said lets continue.

I want to make a lantern with some lighting effects like straight light (white or multi color), strobe (in multi color), revolving (in multi color), etc. that runs on a battery like 2 Ds.

First I wanted to know what is the difference between

Neo Pixel Ring 16 5050 RGBW w/integrated driver (PRODUCT ID: 2856)
Neo Pixel Ring 16 5050 Led w/integrated driver (PRODUCT ID: 1463)

Second what product can I use to control it? I'm looking for something small or tiny. Not sure if any of these would work.

Adafruit Trinket mini controller PRODUCT ID: 1501
Arduino pro mini 328 PRODUCT ID: 2378
Adafruit feather PRODUCT ID: 2771

If there is any other products that I haven't thought of please let me know. Thanks for any help.

hiduino

Re: Need help with buying Adafruit products

Post by hiduino »

The Ring 16 RGBW includes a cool White LED in addition to the Red, Green, and Blue LEDs. This is a more natural white light than combining red, green, and blue alone to create a white light.

Any of those controllers should work fine, but for the easiest use go with the Feather.

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Myself, I prefer the Trinket...low cost, USB programmable, 5V and 3.3V versions available, small memory but more than enough for a rich palette of NeoPixel ring effects. Not the most beginner-friendly, but it got me started.
The Pro Mini has more memory but needs extra hardware for programming.
The Feather costs more and has no 5V option, but has plenty of expansion potential.
pflamm wrote:If there is any other products that I haven't thought of please let me know. Thanks for any help.
Don't miss the Adafruit NeoPixel Überguide, especially the Best Practices, where the right capacitor and resistor are specified (not quite essential for battery power projects, but can't hurt).

Hallelujah!
Disciple

pflamm

Post by pflamm »

Thank you both for your help. =)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”