Configure binutils for AVR?

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fuzzhat

Configure binutils for AVR?

Post by fuzzhat »

Hi, being totally green to this programming stuff as well as terminal, it's not surprising that I'm encountering a few issues setting up the software for programming the minipov3 kit. I'm using a new Intel Mac Mini with osx 10.5.8 and I am following the instructions at: http://ladyada.net/learn/avr/setup-mac.html. I have successfully installed mac developer tools (xcode 3.1.2) which is on the hard-drive, then I ran the OSX-AVR.mpkg which should have installed Avrdude 5.3.1, (I actually ran the installer a few times and still can't find where it got installed, I hope this won't mess with anything). After that I found and installed Avrdude 5.9 which is in the downloads folder, (not sure where else to put it) then I installed Binutils 2.9.1 and stuck it in my home directory. I'm not sure how to do screen shots so I'll include what I can. Next in the terminal window I type cd binutils 2.9.1 then ls and everything seems to be there (as far as I can tell). Now to configure binutils for avr I type: ./configure --target=avr which gives me something different than expected, sorry no screen shot but I'll paste:

Config.guess failed to determine the host type. You need to specify one.
Usage: configure [OPTIONS] [HOST]

Options: [defaults in brackets]
--prefix=MYDIR install into MYDIR [/usr/local]
--exec-prefix=MYDIR install host-dependent files into MYDIR [/usr/local]
--help print this message [normal config]
--build=BUILD configure for building on BUILD [BUILD=HOST]
--host=HOST configure for HOST [determined via config.guess]
--norecursion configure this directory only [recurse]
--program-prefix=FOO prepend FOO to installed program names [""]
--program-suffix=FOO append FOO to installed program names [""]
--program-transform-name=P transform installed names by sed pattern P [""]
--site=SITE configure with site-specific makefile for SITE
--srcdir=DIR find the sources in DIR [. or ..]
--target=TARGET configure for TARGET [TARGET=HOST]
--tmpdir=TMPDIR create temporary files in TMPDIR [/tmp]
--nfp configure for software floating point [hard float]
--with-FOO, --with-FOO=BAR package FOO is available (parameter BAR)
--without-FOO package FOO is NOT available
--enable-FOO, --enable-FOO=BAR include feature FOO (parameter BAR)
--disable-FOO do not include feature FOO

Where HOST and TARGET are something like "sparc-sunos", "mips-sgi-irix5", etc.

Next when I type: make
it gives me:
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

So, where do I go from here?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been at this for hours and my brain is steaming and I'm feeling a little discouraged, Thanks.

adafruit

Re: Configure binutils for AVR?

Post by adafruit »

check out 'crosspack' for avr, its free & aparently is pretty easy to set up

fuzzhat

Post by fuzzhat »

Thanks, I was going to try that first but after seeing how confused I was getting just reading the instructions in option2 at http://ladyada.net/learn/avr/setup-mac.html I decided not to try it, but I'll try it now and see if I can make it work.

fuzzhat

Post by fuzzhat »

OK, I tried Crosspack and my suspicions seem to be correct, it's all terminal stuff and there is no support for the Minipov3, therefore very confusing for me. I would like to continue with the process described in AVR Setup: Option 2, Step 2: http://ladyada.net/learn/avr/setup-mac.html
I believe that it should work, I just need a little assistance with terminal in setting up Binutils for AVR. Can anyone help?

westfw

Post by westfw »

You could install fink commander (and fink.) The avr tools (including compiler, binutils libc, and avrdude) are recognized binary downloads/install options for fink. My experience is that Fink doesn't necessarily put things in the same place that the default ./configure-style manual install from source would put them, so if you're not careful you can wind up with multiple copies of mismatched versions of ... way too much stuff. No doubt there is a way to avoid this...

(I also don't know if the versions of avr tools that fink installs are what you'll need for miniPov.)

("fink" is one of those unix "package managers." "Fink commander" is a Mac-style GUI interface pasted on top of fink.)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”