Fuse issue, then a dead MiniPOV

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dwwilson66

Fuse issue, then a dead MiniPOV

Post by dwwilson66 »

I think I killed my MiniPOV. I started the evening with a miniPOV with the cycling column of lights, everything working all hunky-dory.

I installed the USB-Serial drivers, and everything worked fine. I installed WinAVR, replaced the two modified files (per the big red box), copied over all the source code to MiniPOV, updated files with the appropriate COM port, and was following the instructions for getting everything initialized and ready for programming. My device was recognized by the make program-minipov routine, and I was at about 16% along with writing the flash memory (and chugging along slowly) with the three bottom lights flashing. I swapped over to my web browser to see what steps were next. When I flipped back to the command prompt (OK, command Window...) there was some message about the fuse has been changed from one value to another...do I want to change it back? [Y/N]. Thinking something was terribly wrong, and hoping to roll it back to a pre-terribly-wrong condition, I chose yes. On the third 'Fuse has been c'hanged...' error, the program terminated with a message that it could not change it back to its prior value. Of course, my troubleshooting process included a reboot, and I was stupid enough not to capture the fuse-reset error messages.

Running make program-minipov yields an initialization failed, rc=-1 error.

To troubleshoot:
1.) I have disconnected everything from the MiniPOV and power-cycled it with fresh batteries. It no longer cycles through the column of LEDs as a standalone unit. :\
2.) Re-verified that the COM port is still 3.
3.) Rolled back all the WinAVR and MiniPOV software to fresh install + updates (big red box files and COM port mod).
4.) Restarted my computer. Cold boot. 'Cause that always works. :)
5.) Ran make burn-fuse about ten times based on "Note: if you are trying this out with a new microcontroller (i.e. not from a kit) you'll need to burn the fuses first, otherwise it won't work right and might not be programmable. Run make burn-fuse before you type in make program-minipov, while the minipov is powered and connected to the serial port. You might have to do it a couple of times if its failing." I suspected perhaps the fuse-related fail ~made~ this a new microcontroller.

However, when plugged into the USB/Serial adapter, the last LED blinks (I assume while establishing communication). Going to MiniPOV and running make program-minipov, LEDs 6 and 8 (counting from the port side of the board) flicker in unison until the program terminates with the following error:

avrdude -p attiny2313 -P com3 -c dasa -U flash:w:minipov.hex

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check

avrdude done. Thank you.

make: *** [program-minipov] Error 1

Here's my thought: that fuse thing fried something in the chip, and I need to re-flash it with whatever it CAME flashed with. My correctly blinking LEDs PRIOR to the software crash and the current blinking when I plug it in and when I run 'make' suggests to me that the circuitry is fine (hence, no soldering photos), and the lack of errors when plugging it in to my USB port suggests that the communications are solid. This leads me to the conclusion that something on the IC is hosed because of the interrupt. Does that sound reasonable?

More importantly, how do I fix it? Get a new microcontroller? or is there some software/firmware solution I can try?

Thanks loads!
d

adafruit

Re: Fuse issue, then a dead MiniPOV

Post by adafruit »

sounds like your micro got fried. usb-serial converter or low batteries can do that :(
tell you what, email support@adafruit and we'll send you out a new chip and you can try again! :)

dwwilson66

Post by dwwilson66 »

Just sent the e-mail...I'll post another update once I get the new micro!
Thanks tons! you rock!
d

mtbf0

Post by mtbf0 »

can't hurt to check the soldering on the diodes, r10-12 and the db-9 connector. the db-9 connector, with its relatively huge hunks of metal, might have some cold joints and is subject to mechanical stress.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”