avrdude: AVR device not responding

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stevenl1

avrdude: AVR device not responding

Post by stevenl1 »

Minipov3 + USB-Serial (both from ladyada)

Lights work + made sure there were good solid connections throughout the circuitboard.

Running windows 7

While minipov is off, 3 lights blink when running the make program.

While minipov is on, lights cycle normally when running the make program.

both gave me the following error.
cmd.png
cmd.png (65.38 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
pic2.png
pic2.png (652.95 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
pic1.png
pic1.png (794.16 KiB) Viewed 6794 times

adafruit

Re: avrdude: AVR device not responding

Post by adafruit »

clip those LED wires! :)

did you perform the USB-serial 'fixes'?

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

I did and redid all the usb-serial fixes from http://www.ladyada.net/make/minipov3/software.html

Are there others I should know about? :mrgreen:

It does act like something is going on for 20seconds before failing, I am not sure why though. Any other ideas?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

it sounds like you did some other stuff but posted it in other threads. please post all of your current progress in this thread, preferrably in chronological order :)

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

I apologize for my multiple posts.

First problem, the mini disk that came with the usb-serial is corrupted, I cant seem to use anything on it even though I can see the files.

I seemed to have found a working usb-serial driver, found the com3, fixed the delay, and used the usb fixes.
It won't program giving the following error:

I also tried to program it on my macbook pro. The part I am stuck is installing a driver for the usb-serial to make it show up after typing "ls /dev/cu.*" in terminal. It shows two bluetooth devices but not the converter.

I also tried USB Probe to see if it even sees the device.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Have you tried downloading the latest drivers from the Prolific website?: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/Download-2.asp?ID=17

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

Have you tried downloading the latest drivers from the Prolific website?: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/Download-2.asp?ID=17
Yes I have, It seems to work (windows 7), it shows up as com3, the minipov blinks 3 lights when I try programing it (when minipov is off). When minipov is on its doing its sequence regardless of being plugged in and trying to program. Both give the same error.

I checked continuity throughout every joint on my board, i dont know what else could be wrong?

adafruit_support_bill

the minipov blinks 3 lights when I try programing it (when minipov is off).
OK. It needs to be on to program it, but the fact that the lights blink tells us that there is some sort of activity on COM3.
When minipov is on its doing its sequence regardless of being plugged in and trying to program.
That is unusual. When you connect it to the COM port, it should stop sequencing. I don't have mine in front of me at the moment, but as I recall, the lights will go out until the actual download starts.

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

That is unusual. When you connect it to the COM port, it should stop sequencing. I don't have mine in front of me at the moment, but as I recall, the lights will go out until the actual download starts.
That's what I wasn't sure about. Somewhere I thought I read that maybe the lights were supposed to be out, so I then proceeded to make absolutely sure ever single solder is good. The only thing I can think of is a faulty usb-serial or faulty microchip : /

Any suggestions to troubleshoot.

--------------------------

Troubleshoot attempt. I am trying to program it on a computer with a serial port to see if the problem is the usb-serial or not...

So, I have a new problem. (On windows xp) in cmd, typing 'ls' or 'make' give me back "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Preferably a fix for the programming with the usb-serial is wanted but both is appreciated : ) I will only be near the comp with serial for 2 more hours. And then not for another 20 hours.

adafruit_support_bill

I am trying to program it on a computer with a serial port to see if the problem is the usb-serial or not...
Does the sequencing stop when you plug it into the real serial port?
typing 'ls' or 'make' give me back "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
You need to make sure avrdude is installed and add the appropriate paths to your environent.

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

I reinstalled avrdude and it worked, It programmed correctly!!! yay

when plugged in it is still sequencing, but when programing it goes blinky.

So, my usb-serial... that is the problem, I figured that it was before and tried all the different suggested and some others drivers. I dont see what is wrong unless the its defective. : / I do need it to work, I dont own and comp with serial.

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

Is it possible that I was given a faulty usb-serial because I cant program it was it.

I did find a computer with a serial and it worked : ) but I dont own a computer with a serial : (
Screen shot 2010-06-14 at 11.58.24 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-06-14 at 11.58.24 AM.png (265.58 KiB) Viewed 6712 times

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

I know that is a picture of it working completely but I cant program it with the usb-serial!

I followed all of the instructions, got the right files, fiddled with the delay, found the com3, installed the driver that made it com3. It even blinks a little when I try programing it but it has no change. Any ideas? Mine is a faulty usb-serial.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

are you using a serial extension?

stevenl1

Post by stevenl1 »

are you using a serial extension?
Nope. USBport TO usb-serial TO minipov.

Tried it with and without usb extension that came with usb-serial. :cry:

I dont have an actual serial port let alone an extension for it :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”