Mac-Specific Programming Issues?

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
phildini

Mac-Specific Programming Issues?

Post by phildini »

Hi. I'm almost sorry about writing in with this. Ok, I'm really not, but I do feel a tiny twinge of regret in making a new topic about this issue. I'm running OSX 10.5 on a last-year macbook pro, and just reinstalled the OS from the Leopard disk less than two weeks ago, so in theory nothing on my system should be mucking this up.

So far, I have followed the steps here (http://ladyada.net/make/minipov3/software.html#macosx) to the letter, starting by installing Xcode, then installing OSX-AVR. I also installed the mac driver for my usb-to-serial converter, which is an airlink 101 using the same chipset as the PL-2303. There is a mac driver available here (http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31) which I installed with no problems. In fact, it reads data from the SIM card reader available from LadyAda perfectly. However, whenever I try to program a minipov, using this:

Code: Select all

avrdude -p t2313 -c dasa -P /dev/cu.usbserial
I get this:

cma-11-119:~ phildini$ avrdude -p t2313 -c dasa -P /dev/cu.usbserial

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.
I have even tried using

avrdude -p t2313 -c dasa -i 2000 -P /dev/cu.usbserial
with absolutely no success. I saw the instructions for changing the conf file, but the conf file is not where it should be on the mac after installing OSX-AVR. In fact, installing that created two AVRMacPack folders, one named AVRMacPack/ and one named AVRMacPack-20080721/. Having already tried to hunt for and change the conf file on my last installation, and having that not work, I'm really wondering what's going on. I have no problem blaming my own soldering, but that would have to mean my soldering hasn't worked twice.

I have tried two minipovs, one on its own and one with the brain machine kit. Neither have successfully been programmed. Any help appreciated.

adafruit

Re: Mac-Specific Programming Issues?

Post by adafruit »

did you install the New Better PL2303 driver or the 'default'? because you really do need to use the Better one - oddly enough there's a bug in the manufacturer's driver which i patched...

phildini

Post by phildini »

How exactly does one get ahold of the new better one?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

phildini

Post by phildini »

Thanks! Do I have to do anything special to remove the old one, or will installing on top just work?

phildini

Post by phildini »

The new driver works smashingly, although the write speeds seems very slow... as in half a byte a second slow. (1106 bytes in roughly 2000 s). Any ideas would be appreciated.

The_Don125

Post by The_Don125 »

unfortunately usb->serial converters are pretty slow, using a native serial port is easily the fastest method.

xor

Post by xor »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”