Fix Frequency on MiniPOV4 Kit

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
servax

Fix Frequency on MiniPOV4 Kit

Post by servax »

Hi.
I want to use the MiniPOV4 Kit on a flywheel with a speed of 1500 rpm.
Since my image has a length of 120px, I will need e freqency of f= 1500/60*120 =3000Hz.
Unfortunately, I cannot tune such a high speed with the potentiometer.
(Is it possible to adjust the speed exactly to the 3000Hz?)

So, I downloaded Arduino 1.6.5 to open and adjust the MiniPOV4 Core but after uploading the compiled code, the 3 colors are shown. But after the functional check, the leds are off, also after uploading new images with preprocessor.

Do I have do specify the location, where the picture is stored?

Thanks in advance

Marc

servax

Re: Fix Frequency on MiniPOV4 Kit

Post by servax »

Hi There!

I found out that the picture is shown, but very very slow. Since, the first part of my pictrure is black, I thought that nothing is shown.
Now, I'm standing in front of a new problem. When I compile und upload your code, the frequency is much lower than usual. (I used your original files)

I use Arduino 1.0.5-r2 (With a newer version I got a compilation error due to the datatype prog_char) on a Windows 8, 64Bit computer.
The board I've chose is Arduino Uno. (I also adjusted the chip frequency to 12MHz in board.txt)

Thanks for your help.

P.s I bought your kit over an official reseller in Switzerland.

jacobkeyes1

Post by jacobkeyes1 »

I'm having a similar problem. Built my MiniPOV4 kit, ran it with the preloaded firmware, and it worked fine. Updated the image using processing and the "MiniPOV4_ImageConverter.pde" and it works great.

Now I wanted to do some more advanced stuff (add a sensor etc.) so as a first step I thought I would just try uploading the firmware again without any changes.
I used "MiniPOV4Core.ino" from the github repository along with the debug.cpp and debu.h file that came with it (https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-MiniPOV4-Kit).

I'm using Arduino 1.6.5 IDE on Windows 8.1

I tried to verify the code and I got the same error the OP talks about

Code: Select all

'prog_char' does not name a type
A quick google says it has to do with new vs. old version of avr and you just need to change "prog_char" to "char" in a couple places, which I did and now it verifies ok.

I set my programmer to USBtinyISP and uploaded using programmer (shift+upload button) and it says "Done uploading" and the LEDs flash.

BUT, now when I use the MiniPOV4 the image is displayed VERY VERY slowly. I didn't change my image (EEPROM), nor the potentiometer so:

1) is it possible that the firmware that came preloaded on the MiniPOV4 kit is not the same as what is in the github repository?
2) is it my 'prog_char' to 'char' modification that is causing the problem?
3) Any help on how can I restore my firmware to get this working again?

FatCat0

Post by FatCat0 »

Just giving this a bump because having the ability to tweak (or restore to default) the firmware is very handy (or potentially necessary)

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Use Arduino 1.05 for now :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”