MiniPov4 image converter and Processing 3.0.1

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
FatCat0

MiniPov4 image converter and Processing 3.0.1

Post by FatCat0 »

I just put together my MiniPOV and want to try out some images on it. I downloaded the image converter sketch and the latest version of Processing (3.0.1), and installed the CP5 library, but when I try to run the sketch I get an error of:

Code: Select all

the method showOpenDialog(Component) in the type JFileChooser is not applicable for the arguments (MiniPov4_ImageConverter)
This points to Line 205:

Code: Select all

if (fc.showOpenDialog(this) == JFileChooser.APPROVE_OPTION)
I have virtually zero Java experience so while I've done some searching around I can't find a mechanism to address this that I actually understand how to implement. Is this an incompatibility with Processing 3 (the tutorial references Processing 2.1 or something), or something more fundamental I've messed up? If the former, is it one that can be addressed in a straightforward manner? I would rather not have multiple versions of Processing installed, and I don't see the merit in learning to use an old version of the software over learning on what will presumably be the standard version for a while.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: MiniPov4 image converter and Processing 3.0.1

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I think you can still download Processing 2.1. I suggest downgrading. Meanwhile I'll pass along the report of incompatibility with 3.0

FatCat0

Post by FatCat0 »

I know I can get processing 2, and I'll try that out next time I get around to playing with the PoV. Thanks for passing along the compatability issue, it would be nice to eventually be able to just use the newer version.

Side question: has this http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=81606 (slow blinking when re-uploading the firmware) been addressed yet? I actually do want to tweak this once I get the basic functionality down, but I don't want to break the thing.

adafruit_support_rick

I think he probably messed something up when he modified the code. Stick with Arduino 1.0.5 and you should be OK

jjroberts

Post by jjroberts »

I'm having same problem. Does the "converter" sketch have to work before you can see the "open image" menu selection? I'm using the latest version of processing. At what point do you dump the sketch onto the controller itself?

adafruit_support_rick

Yeah, you need to have the image converter working. That's where the open image menu item is. After loading the image, there's a download to minipov menu item

jjroberts

Post by jjroberts »

I'm using 32 bit windows machine and processing v3.2.1. The "converter" sketch will not run. It's hanging up on line 205 of the code. if (fc.showOpenDialog(this) == JFileChooser.APPROVE_OPTION) I'm not sure if that could be from a driver issue or coding issue. Nevertheless, I can't get the minipov 4 to work. The unit does go through the proper start when on battery.

Is there a 32 bit windows driver? If so, where might I find it. I have installed the Adafruit windows drivers.

I see other users having trouble with the sketch in newer versions of processing. I'm at a loss. Please help.

adafruit_support_rick

I think you'll have to downgrade to Processing 2. The error you're getting is not a driver issue.

ipsbishop

Post by ipsbishop »

MiniPOV4 Windows 7 64b Built unit, tests okay and driver installed. "Processing" moved to new Github site and there are a slew of them. Which one do I use? There is no obvious 2.0.3 on the site.

jjroberts

Post by jjroberts »

Using XP machine I downgraded to processing 2.something. It worked just fine. The latest version would not work. At one point I was not finding the downgrade version on the processing website. Adafruit provided a link to processing website that worked.

https://processing.org/download/?processing:

Thanks to Nick with Adafruit team!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”