Envelope/Gating Circuit peak test
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Envelope/Gating Circuit peak test

by Biggs7 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:57 am

Hello all, I'm building a WillZYX kit and I ran into a problem testing the gating circuit. I have no problems with the 12VDC at D35, but I cannot get 12V peak from the R3 trigger. I have visually inspected the pcb for poor solder joints and orientation of the Q's. I will try to start testing some components in circuit if possible. Any suggestions please?
Thank you!
Sincerely,
BIGGS7

Biggs7

Re: Envelope/Gating Circuit peak test

by antto on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:12 am

Biggs7 wrote:Hello all, I'm building a WillZYX kit and I ran into a problem testing the gating circuit. I have no problems with the 12VDC at D35, but I cannot get 12V peak from the R3 trigger.

R3 trigger? R3 is on the IO board, part of the circuit that makes the 5.333V voltage

antto

by Biggs7 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Hello. Sorry for the confusion. Yes. R3 on the I/O board (5v) is the reference point that is used in the build manual on pages 56 and 57 to pulse 12vdc to D36, using a jumper wire from R3 to R146(gate I believe) and touching R3 momentarily to send 12vdc. I do not see this pulse ever.... I do have good 12vdc on D35 when a jumper is connected from R3 to R146. And I also have no voltage when the jumper is disconnected as normal...
Thanks again.
Biggs

Biggs7

by Biggs7 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Antto, any suggestions?
Thank you.
BIGGS

Biggs7

by antto on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:16 pm

the signal at D36 should be a very short spike (probably about 1ms, don't quote me on that)
if you're measuring with a multimeter chances are very high that you won't "see" it
if you're measuring with a scope, make sure you've configured it to trigger properly so that it pauses when it catches the spike

antto

by Biggs7 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Antto, thanks. I was using a dmm and I did see a bit of a jump, but never see 12vdc. I also tried to turn on the hold feature on my dmm, but i never see it or hear an audible beep. l do also have a scope which I just purchased. It's an older tek 453.... Still getting the hang of it.... I didn't think too much of this problem I'm having originally and I just noted it in the manual and kept on building. I've finished the vca now and when I try and do the test on pg. 61, I don't hear a note being played. I need to double check my headphone wires again, as there are 3 conductors. They are cheap earbuds... I do hear some noise when I rub the headphone wire around the rightmost pin hole of vr8 for the volume pot.... you have to use r146 again in this test, so I figured something was not right with the envelope gate section.... I'll try to see the pulse on the scope with it setup appropriately and let you know what I see...

Biggs7

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.