µcontroller problem, stop in pattern EDIT mode

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
diplowave

µcontroller problem, stop in pattern EDIT mode

Post by diplowave »

Hi,x0xerz,
I have 3 atmega at home, with the same problem there is the sokkos flashed inside.
Everything works with an eeprom containing patterns, however if i switch to pattern edit mode the sequencer is stopping... So impossible to record pattens with a empty eeprom for example. There are 2 that i have taken on broken x0xb0x and the 3rd atmega bellowed, i forgot to place the eeprom during the first test and it was damaged like that I think. Are they definitely out of order? Or is there a solution?

rv0

Re: µcontroller problem, stop in pattern EDIT mode

Post by rv0 »

I do not think it is a problem with the Atmega, nor with the EEPROM.
Can you test the atmega and eeprom in another x0x?

diplowave

Post by diplowave »

Excuse me the answer to your question is in my first question. I must say that i am not English, maybe i have expressed myself badly. I said we could not save patterns with an empty eeprom, so new eeprom. On the other hand i can read the patterns of an eeprom that contains them.
And actually i have several x0xb0x, several flashed atmega that work and several eeprom.
By cons if i put another atmega it works well.
I give more precision, everything is ok, keyboard mode, midi sync, dinsync and others.
Except the pattern edit...

For example if i'm in pattern play(sync out mode), the x0xb0x runs.
As soon as i turn the rotary switch to the right, the x0xb0x stop. When i switch to pattern edit mode, if i press run x0x start, if i program a note with a keypad, it plays the note, on the other hand PREVIOUS and NEXT does not work. When i press on prev or next key no movement of led happens from 1 to 16.

Usually i think this kind of problem can be caused by IC17, but in this case that is not the issue.
I have 3 atmega flashed with the same problem.

rv0

Post by rv0 »

do you have a programmer for the atmegas? are the fuse settings all identical?

diplowave

Post by diplowave »

Thanks.
No i do not have a programmer, but i will buy one, one day. Because it is the side of x0xb0x that i do not know.
I have to reprogram them? Rectify codes?

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Just trying to figure out whats going on here.

So yes tested the Atmega in several x0xes, or you just tested several Atmegas in the same x0x?

diplowave

Post by diplowave »

Yes i did the 2, because i am spoiled for choice to try different CPU on different x0xb0x:

And i have 3 atmega with the same bug, tested on different x0x with different eeprom.
By continuing the tests, i noticed that if i start a pattern in EDIT mode, already recorded on the eeprom with other atmega, i can not modify the pattern, by cons i can make it play higher, or lower with keypads, like the pitch Mode of a TB303!

I asked a friend who knows a little bit about the programmers, apparently with a programmer, i can erase the sokkos and then load a new one, right? In this case, it is the solution of the problem i think. Excuse me, but as i said, the firmware, it's the x0x side that i know very little about.

rv0

Post by rv0 »

You can "re-install" SokkOS by connecting your x0x to a computer using USB. Then use BANNED to flash the new version of SokkOS onto it.

A programmer is for more advanced stuff, like changing the bootloader and/or fuse settings

diplowave

Post by diplowave »

Thanks, i downloaded BANNED, i tried and when i click upload i have an error message:
I downloaded the file, x0xb0x.hex, I do not make any mistake, it is indeed the sokkos?

rv0

Post by rv0 »

first make you sure you have the required FTDI drivers installed
then in device management check which COM port your x0x is using.
next, config BANNED to use to correct COM port, then retry.

I know this isn't fun to set up the first time, this is one of the main reasons we made the x0xlarge cpu upgrade support updating using plain midi SysEx instead of the hassle of USB drivers.
You'll find a lot of info on how to install and configure the virtual COM port drivers on your PC right here on this forum.

Good luck!

diplowave

Post by diplowave »

I still had other problems afterwards. I could not get there because, i was not on the right port com. A computer friend helped me set up my computer.

But finally after several tests, i got to reflash 4 CPUs that were out of service. Now they work very well. Thanks for your help and BANNED is awesome!

diplowave

Post by diplowave »

It's funny, i was asked to build the x0xb0x n ° 901, last batch.(There are people who have never built their x0x ...)
And the new cpu has the same problem, it has a label "x0xb0x v1.05 5/11/07".
I'll re-flash it.
But it's strange that nobody else is talking about this forum, it's so common.

diplowave

Post by diplowave »

Can i load sokkos with, on a new atmega (blank)? I tried this did not work.

i try with atmega 162 16PU 1634H.

antto

Post by antto »

if you get an atmega, you'd need to have a programmer, then you could flash one of the firmwares with it, and set the fuses
however, you'd better flash the bootloader hex instead (and set the fuses still), then you'd be able to use the bootloader like normal (and flash firmware via BANNED, etc..)

if you bought an atmega from one of the x0xb0x distributors, then it should already have the fuses and bootloader programmed

diplowave

Post by diplowave »

Ok thank you, i understand, i need a programming tool, to install a bootloader. I understand a little bit, because i already did that on my midibox sequencer, it was different there was no need prog tool.

Sorry i was a bit wowed, as i had to Re-flashe over the beuggled firmware, i made the mistake of believing that i could also flash blank atmega. Having not found all the explanations, i had gone in the wrong direction.

Otherwise what programming tool would be suitable and affordable price? To flash atmega?

For exemple: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/AVR-Minimum-Syst ... xyBvZTWBcY

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”