troubleshooting x0x#106

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
darkcube

troubleshooting x0x#106

Post by darkcube »

hey everyone, greetings from detroit.

finally got the new BA6110 in the mail, as i had a bad datecode chip, it turns out.

now, when i power it up in keyboard mode, notes are constantly on, and when i press a key, it silences the note, and triggers that note upon release.

i've tried firmware v1.04 and the newest meow19 -- same results.

any ideas?

- darkcube [detroit techno militia]
http://www.detroittechnomilitia.com

altitude

Post by altitude »

cube!

altitude

Post by altitude »

sounds like you have something in backwards. Whats it do in random mode?

darkcube

Post by darkcube »

Altitude wrote:sounds like you have something in backwards. Whats it do in random mode?
this is where it gets weird. i've got the boards out of the case, and jacked into headphones/power on the bench.

when it's in random mode, it'll play an occasional note, but mostly a bunch of clicking. when i touch my finger to a couple of random points next to and under the volume knob, it's almost like it drops a couple of octaves -- it plays random notes like it should, and like it does on the other one my friend built. the volume is also *seriously* attenuated, though when i touch those solder points to make it work right, the volume is as loud as it should be...

i've gone over the board a couple times, and i can't find any glaringly obvious errors like bad joints, or BANNED soldered in backwards. i was mad careful to solder in the transistors according to the silkscreening on the PCB, though i read in another thread somewhere that a couple of the 733p's might have been mislabeled with regard to the BCE/EBC pinouts.

any ideas?

- 'cube

cchocjr

Post by cchocjr »

Check out the gate section first. Look for threads that I've created, as most of my problems had to do with my gate section. Yours sound like their manifesting in a different way, though.

jdfan

Post by jdfan »

darkcube wrote:when it's in random mode, it'll play an occasional note, but mostly a bunch of clicking. when i touch my finger to a couple of random points next to and under the volume knob, it's almost like it drops a couple of octaves -- it plays random notes like it should, and like it does on the other one my friend built. the volume is also *seriously* attenuated, though when i touch those solder points to make it work right, the volume is as loud as it should be...
you definitely have something 'backwards'. The symptoms you describe are an envelope that's firing in reverse, as it were.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”