x0xb0x jumps a few in between G# & A keys

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wmoindrot

x0xb0x jumps a few in between G# & A keys

Post by wmoindrot »

Hi,

I have sent an email to sound-imperium from where I bought my kit from but wondered if any folks on here would have any ideas or seen similar.

I put together my x0xb0x last year from kit. Unfortunately I have found there to be an occasional problem seen here: https://youtu.be/FhqGajcDi14

What I see is that in the middle octave, there is a jump between the G# and A key on the keyboard. If I control the b0x through midi the problem is also present. I have been able to fix things in the past by opening it up and using a tool to prod/touch the components, so I think it is probably a bad solder joint, but I have not been able to locate it. Any ideas?

Many thanks, Will

mmm

Re: x0xb0x jumps a few in between G# & A keys

Post by mmm »

Hello,
this means that your resistors for the DAC (R74 to R90) are not precise enough. The 1% resistors included with most kits are not sufficient; you need 0.1% precision. If you've accidentally used 5% precision resistors it would be even worse.
Or perhaps one different resistor slipped in there; just check all of them.

Starting with the "A" the highest bit becomes active; if that resistor is a bit out of spec it naturally will affect everything above this.

wmoindrot

Post by wmoindrot »

Hi, thanks MMM.

I saw some of the after posts that others had reported and to which you had replied to so was going to build up a bit of info around this problem to work out which bit and which resistor might be the issue. Had hoped to get a chance to look at it this weekend but the monitor on my PC broke so it's put me back a bit. Hopefully will have a few evenings this week to check all the resistors. It seems to me that all keys lower than A might be too low, and then from A upwards they are correct. I need to check them with a tuner. It

Thanks very much for posting back and I will post on how I get on. Will

wmoindrot

Post by wmoindrot »

Hi MMM, Thanks again for replying. I opened my x0xb0x today, eyeballed the resistors and looked good (1% tolerance),m took the front panel off and resoldered the resistors and it seems to have solved the issue. Best wishes, Will

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”