No MIDI at all

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
unnu

No MIDI at all

Post by unnu »

Hi, I really like the sounds of this machine, for the first time i tried today to make some MIDI connections and find out that the MIDI section on the x0x is not working at all. The analog and the sequencing part are all fine and I am trying to wiggle now around what the problem might be, tried to document myself here about similar issues but no good luck so far. Where would you suggest to start the troubleshooting? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

unnu

Re: No MIDI at all

Post by unnu »

I have just finished re_uploading (bootloading) the firmware with success but the problem persists, i will now check some volatges on the atmega chip,

antto

Post by antto »

be more specific:
- what did you connect
- what mode/settings and buttons you pressed
- what did you expect to happen
- what happened

unnu

Post by unnu »

hi antto,

I tried to connect the xoxbox with a RM1X firstly via Midi Sync and no response, then i connected the laptop to the xoxbox with a usb2midi and used the midiox software to see if it scans any data from xoxbox, here are 2 tests:

1. On the Pattern (sync out) Mode, the Midi Out sends no signals, that
is midiox shows no activity; as well the Led indicator on the midi_usb
adapter does not blink. Same result with the Track (synco out) mode;

2; On the Midi Sync mode I send midi data from an RM1x while xoxbox
not running, the THRU port shows no activity neither on midiox; if i press the RUN button on the xoxbox nothing happens, none of the LEDs blink, neither the tempo LED, as I would expect to pick the tempo sent from the RM1X and to lthe tempo led it accordingly;

The Din Sync seems unresponsive as well while tested; I opened the
machine to check for cable continuity and all seems fine, also checked
the values of resistors on the midi board and except for R17 which
reads 750R instead of 1K all seems fine.
I might suspect a faulty component will do some other measurments tomorrow

Kind regards,
Claudiu

antto

Post by antto »

the midi THRU port is just a copy of the IN port, it doesn't get processed by the mcu, it'll "work" even without the mainboard
J3 carries the MIDI IN/OUT, DinSync, and USB-serial signals between the two boards
with the power off - check for continuity each signal on J3 on both ends to see if the cable is broken
with the power on - check that you have 5V "idle" voltage on pins 1, 2, 5, 6
check that you have 0V when the x0xb0x sequencer is stopped, and 5V when it's running on pin12 of J3, that's the dinsync RUN signal

unnu

Post by unnu »

hi antto, thanks for the efforts of bothering with me here :), i was lucky enough on of these nights to have made the midi working; one of those electronics' mysteries for me as i was sending midi signals software generated to the midiplay mode of the xoxbox and the midi on it unfroze all of a sudden, now all sections working midiwise, don*t really now what made it start working as i would love to share the *fix* for other people with similar issues, probably a *ghost* note unfreezing the midi, but i won*t go ahead as this is just assumption; thanks again for dealing with all us wigglers here,
kind regards,
Claudiu

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”