Clicky start of the sound

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
infekted

Clicky start of the sound

Post by infekted »

Hi xoxboxers,

I am looking for an advice. I have recently completed the build and everything seems to work fine. Apart from very silent click at the start of the sound/note (sounds like a sample which has not been trimmed to zero point). It is more prominent on headphones out but to certain extent it can be heard on mix out. Depending on cutoff/res settings it can disappear but in general it is there.

I had a go with replacing R155 to 100k. This improved clipping at higher volume levels on head phones (separate issue). The drawback was that some "ghost/faint" clicks appeared when sequencer was running (even with volume turned down to 0). Funnily, depending on how io board and main board were positioned in relation to each other the clicks were fading or increasing. So I have reverted back to 47k at R155 position,

The clicks I am hearing sound like very short filter envelope ramping (similar clicks can be found in Korg's kicks in ER-1 or Volca drum).

While listening to some xox demos on youtube I cant hear them. So the question is:

Is it normal or am I missing something?

I have not tuned the machine yet. Could this be a problem?
I will investigate voltages later and double check the components placement.

Any thoughts?

infekted

Re: Clicky start of the sound

Post by infekted »

Update. I have checked all the components. All seems to be ok, apart from R106 24K, which on schematics is specified as 27K. I will replace it and see what happens.

infekted

Re: Clicky start of the sound

Post by infekted »

After inspecting several areas of my build it turns out that gate out does not work properly. With CV and Gate leads in nothing happens. But when I remove jack from Gate it triggers a note. So every time I make a contact betweenn jack and the socket ring note is triggered. At CV situation is slightly better as there is a change in pitch.

This issue in my view may partially contribute to the clicking thing as there is clearly something wrong with Gate. To me the gate does not close completely.
Btw scope shows around 13V peak on gate out.

Is there anyone who could help around?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”