Mounting the chips in sockets or not?
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, hamburgers, phono

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Mounting the chips in sockets or not?

by tkahn on Sun May 29, 2005 2:36 am

Will you mount your chips in sockets or not? Using sockets for all chips would prevent the chips from being damaged by heat during soldering and make them easy to replace, but then on the other hand they may come loose.

As far as I have understood there is enough room in the box for using sockets and one won't run into problems if one decides to use sockets.
tkahn

by 303user on Sun May 29, 2005 10:02 am

For ease of servicing later sockets are best, also you wont fry your chips if you are not good at soldering. However sockets can become intermittent after a while, I will be using sockets though.
303user

by jcoplin on Sun May 29, 2005 10:32 am

I know the whole argument about soldering the chips making for better contact etc. and I don't disagree. However, I've had more chips fail than sockets go bad over the years so I always socket my chips. I have never had a good quality socket crap out on me. Generally it is the tin leaf style (like came with the kit) that eventually develop problems.

I always use milmax gold plated sockets. Mouser has them:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=224749

the Mouser part# 575-113308 for the 8 pin. Searching their site will show all the other pin configs. These sockets are a bit spendy but worth every penny. Later!

James R. Coplin
If anyone asks of my whereabouts
simply tell them I've gone out the window
for a spot of tea and am not
expected back anytime soon.
jcoplin

Which socket

by EvilXyzzy on Tue May 31, 2005 2:28 pm

On the SynthDIY list we generally agree that AMP Diplomat Dual-Wipe sockets are probably the longest-lived/most rugged. Personally I use machine-pin sockets and tie the ICs in with lacing tape if I'm afraid of the chips coming out, which is quite common with the machine pin sockets because they have almost no retention force.
EvilXyzzy

by tkahn on Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:31 am

I've started assembling my x0xb0x and I've decided to use high quality sockets. That way I can be sure that the IC's are not damaged by heat during soldering and I can replace faulty IC's later.

Thanks for your input!
tkahn

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.