Completed x0xb0x's (Post your pictures and sounds here!!)

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sash

Post by sash »

so cooool, that's really diy !

kinetik

Post by kinetik »

Mine's up and running too - all stock and now preparing to mod :)

Also looking into getting a custom case made and when I have details of that I'll sort out a picture.

Pretty happy with the semi-finished product so far - very nice kit! No idea what serial no. I got though as I never received the tag.

Jeremy

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

very nice. how did you do the lettering?

I'm about to implement a very similar list myself...
what does the bunny crunch sound like?

goldbug

Post by goldbug »

I used DataMark dry transfer lettering - specifically #9555D from here: http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/Nume ... abets.html, with a couple of coats of clear lacquer over the top. Quite easy to use, just remember to not press down hard when putting them on!

equaliser

Post by equaliser »

Serial #445 lives...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/159/3757 ... f3.jpg?v=0

(Damned if I can get the image to appear here...)

Exactly as stock at minute, with the highest beta of the transistors in the kit (a 310) at Q8. Got lots of mods planned, but I wanted to get it working first.

Took me about a week to build (not continuously, dearie me). For those new to this game, like me, I recommend going really slow, and checking the polarity of all polar components (um, the electrolytics and the transistors) before you solder the jumpers together.

If you feel like you might want to give this a go, but you're not sure if you're up to it: don't worry, you can do it, and it's [b]really[/b] worth it - get on the list.

The sequencer is inspirational, and expressive with the accent and slide - I can't wait to hook it up to my other analogues too. And it sounds great, even next to my Pro-one and my MS-20 (ok, enough of the name-dropping...)

orsankart

Post by orsankart »

x0xb0x 389 - born today - 1lb 12oz's..

SineSurfer

Post by SineSurfer »

x0xb0x 393 (cool serial)

more on flickr
mods made:

Bass boost mod, good to remove dust from the speakers:)

Increased Filter Low End, cool to have the extended range, but not sure about the usefulness.

Increase Env Mod Range 2x, no comments.

I think the only mod unavoidable musically speaking is the Bass bost, the other mods give you more options to tweak the sound but may be more difficult to control performance.

focusers

Post by focusers »

x0x#415, was born in 11.Apr.2007.
with 2SA733AP.

more pics + music made by x0x415, this link.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

lovely!

focusers

ARIGATOU.

Post by focusers »

thanks a lot of !
you and everyone!!

i have appreciation to this forum.

thanx.

reptar

Post by reptar »

495 is go.

Completely standard at the moment, wanted to make sure it all worked properly before modding it.

santoselhelper

Post by santoselhelper »

Hi,

x0xb0x #584 is build and rocking :o)

Ordered 11th January 2007, got the notification mail on 7th June 2007 ( run 6 ) Ordered on 8th June at Adafruit. The box was shipped on 14th June. The box arrived at german customs on 18th June. I pulled the box out of customs on 21 June with 2% import tax and 19% VAT = 64,50 Euro. Checked all parts with the BOM from Jonnay. Both 1k PTC Thermistors were missing. I mailed Adafruit and Limor send me very quickly the missing parts. Startet soldering the power section on 22 June. No problems with that. Recieved the missing Thermistors on 27 June. Started a power-soldering-night.... after 8 hours of soldering i was getting into a solder-delirium... the vapors of solder are really bad and made me a little bit dizzy ;o) (like smoking something smooth ;o)) Finished the box on 28 June 10:30 PM. Testing only with headphones. No sound but all LEDs and buttons were full functional. Going through all sections searching for bad solder joints or wrong placed parts. Nothing. 01:30 AM pluged the box to my mixer... bowbowbowbowboooooooooowwwww... yeahhhhhhh ! Jumping around in my flat beeing happy :o) All important parts ( BA6110 , Q9, Q10, Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 and all ICs ) are socketed so checked first with factory default and then with BA-662-A. Firmware update with c0ntr0l works, connection with c0ntr0l doesn´t work. This was discussed in other threads that there are different problems with that. Do the "high-beta-mod" with hFe Q9=378 and Q10=375. Sounds great although the BA-662-A is not as loud as the BA-6110-A. First i had problems with a popping sound ( discussed in other threads) everytime i punched "ENV-MOD" and "CUTOFF" in. With the oszilloscope there was no spike or DC-offset detected. I don´t know where the noise come from. Swiching the BA-6110-A to BA-662-A solves apparently the problem because since then the noise is almost gone. I think it must be something around Q1,2,3,4 and BA-6110. So up to the next DIY while the soldering-iron is hot. I have allready the PCBs from Trevor for my 9090 and will do a sequencer-mod :o)

Conclusion:
The x0xb0x is the best 303-Clone i ever heard. Thank you Limor from the bottom of my heart :o) and respect to bcbox, guest and many more from the forum for this great support and the usefull posts ! The time waiting was worth it !

*santos*

xpander

x0xb0x #341 made last summer (2006)

Post by xpander »

Well, this happy announcement is kinda late, but here it is.

http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=x0x341sh9.jpg

I did a lot of reading and planning beforehands, so it was easy to apply some changes and mods while I was building. Also, I took my time and really enjoyed soldering this one, almost playing with even the tiniest work details. As a result, I got a wonderfully playing and sounding machine straight from the bench, haven't needed to even tune the thing so far.

The mods that I did along the way were the usual ones: on/off switch, bass boost and extension of Cutoff and Env Mod ranges. There were plenty of high gain transistors in the package, so I put the highest hFe trannies to the recommended places. I also changed couple of the components to different types, but not much of real hi-end tweaking there.

There are few more tweaks I might try sooner or later, but overall, I'm really happy about the x0xb0x just like it is.

My thanx to Limor who made this, my 3rd chance in 17 years, to become reality. The forumites around here have proven to be a valuable source of help and information, for which I'm really grateful too.

SineSurfer

Post by SineSurfer »

plate experiment for my x0x:
more photos on flickr

charlie_says

Finally...

Post by charlie_says »

x0x#425 is finished & working.

Had to get some assistance for finishing (turned out 2 of the ICs had blown) - also seems that the tempo knob isn't working - but as I'm MIDIing at the mo I'll save that little task for a rainy day.
Last edited by charlie_says on Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”