Mounting the resistors
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, hamburgers, phono

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Mounting the resistors

by tkahn on Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:45 am

This kit is different from ones that I've assembled before in the way that the resistors are mounted. Usually there is enough space to mount the resistors flat against the board, but in this project you need to mount them standing.

I have seen the small circles on the silk-screen printing on the board and I guess they indicate where it's best to mount the actual resistor (and then the bent leg goes into the other hole?

I know that you can mount resistors any direction you want, but I was just wondering if I by any chance will run into space problems on the board if i dont mount the resistors in the circle? I saw that it was a good idéa to follow the circle-pattern when mounting the 1% resistors close to the IC in the VCO part (thight space), but usually when I build things I like all resistors to be mounted in the same direction since it makes it easier to find errors.
tkahn

by altitude on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:08 am

Its easier to test if the resistors have a leg up

altitude

by adafruit on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:14 am

you should probably follow the images, sometimes the direction was chosen to avoid shorting leads or so that you could easily test something.

adafruit

by Jonnay on Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:49 am

Ugh. We just finished the VCO. Some of the resistors follow the directions on the silkscreen, some don't. Is it worth de-soldering and getting the directions right? Or can we continue and just do the proper diretion from now on? How likely are shorts? How fatal are shorts?

Cheers.
Jonnay

by tkahn on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:45 am

I've also soldered some resistors "the wrong way" but I'm not going to turn them. As long as you check your board(s) for possible shorts before turning the synth on there shoudn't be any problems.
tkahn

by adafruit on Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:14 pm

never desolder unless its necessary, as you're more likely to damage your components and circuit board. basically just make sure the 'bare' side of the resitor isnt touching any other bare side, etc.

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.