Build manual questions
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, hamburgers, phono

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Build manual questions

by Milkmansound on Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:29 pm

these are actually not even questions - and I am beyond these steps myself, but I am wondering why you do not have a way to discharge the PSU after testing each stage.

My filter caps were arcing when I was replacing other components, and I thought about this for a second - shouldn't there be a 10k resistor in place to drain out the PSU after powering it up with no load for testing?

Also - when soldering the LED's, maybe there should be a little turorial on those standoffs. I assume that I am doing them properly - but it is easy to do it upside down - or which is the right way anyway?

Sorry to be a pain - but I think these things may help the beginners a bit - and maybe protect the PSU from damage.
(((((MILKMANSOUND)))))
Milkmansound

Re: Build manual questions

by adafruit on Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:07 pm

Milkmansound wrote:these are actually not even questions - and I am beyond these steps myself, but I am wondering why you do not have a way to discharge the PSU after testing each stage.
My filter caps were arcing when I was replacing other components, and I thought about this for a second - shouldn't there be a 10k resistor in place to drain out the PSU after powering it up with no load for testing?

actually, there was a note in the ps section about shorting the caps with a screwdriver. but ive updated it to mention using a resistor.

Also - when soldering the LED's, maybe there should be a little turorial on those standoffs. I assume that I am doing them properly - but it is easy to do it upside down - or which is the right way anyway?

don't matter, they're just standoffs! the manual has been clarified.

thanks for the suggestions!

adafruit

by Milkmansound on Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:57 pm

no, thank you for making this kit!

another way I found useful for soldering the LED's was to center them by putting the front cover over them all - I checked mine after like the first 10 or so and had to move them a little to go through perfectly.

Yeah, shorting the caps with a screwdriver is not the best method - but its better than getting a 12V shock I guess :P
(((((MILKMANSOUND)))))
Milkmansound

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.