Building the whole thing without testing every section?
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, hamburgers, phono

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Building the whole thing without testing every section?

by tkahn on Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:10 am

I have built the whole x0xb0x without doing the tests listed in the building manual. Well, I did the test and calibration on the PSU, but the rest I've skipped due to lack of testing equipment and time.

My question is: is this is okay? For example, will I have any problems tuning the oscillator or adjusting the waveshapes?

I understand that this might make it harder for me to trouble-shoot the circuit if something should be wrong with it, but apart from that (and as long as I have a tested and working PSU) can I fry anything more severely than I would if I had built and tested the unit section by section?
tkahn

by altitude on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:38 am

I did the same thing and had no problems

altitude

by Milkmansound on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:11 am

just tune the osc later with a guitar tuner - thats what i did. It makes it a lot more brainless :D
(((((MILKMANSOUND)))))
Milkmansound

by Jonnay on Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:21 am

Due to lack of equipment and skill, I had to calibrate after building.

Tuning the x0xb0x is easy, just open up the filter 100%, delay to 100%, EnvMod to 100%, and crank the resonance down to 0. Use a software oscilloscopes (heh!) and check out the frequency. Bam.

The resonance is a little harder to calibrate to the magical frequency because of the movement of the envelope... but it is not impossible.

As for adjusting the waveshapes... erm.. I forgot to do that I guess. Again, shouldn't be tooo hard, but you are going to have some difficulty because of the envelope.
Last edited by Jonnay on Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonnay

by Milkmansound on Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:51 pm

well, if you are inside anyway you can tap the signal from before the envelope - right off of the wave selector switch.
(((((MILKMANSOUND)))))
Milkmansound

by Brandon Daniel on Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:16 pm

I'd say that ideally you build the power supply, test that, then build the rest without testing if that's your inclination.

I'm mostly done with mine (just chugging on the seq section now) and pretty much everything has come up flawless at every stage thus far. I'm no kit master, so I'd think anyone who was careful to put in the right parts with the right orientations and is even halfway decent with an iron and 60/40 ought to be able to put it together with little to no errors.
Brandon Daniel

by EvilXyzzy on Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:09 pm

I stuffed the entire interface board first starting with the USB chip so I had a clean slate to work with. Tested the power supply and USB, and then started my normal routine of stuffing "Like" components. ( all 1k, then 10k, then 100k, etc... ). Except for my LED issue which I initially attributed to my Hell Bent for Leather assembly technique, I had zero problems. I calibrated with a frequency counter and a lot of patience. I did cheat and calibrate at the high end of the scale unstead of the low end so the Counter stabilzation time was lower.

I always count out the proper number of parts ahead of time so if I come up short or with extras I know what areas to go over to find mistakes. I suppose everyone has their own method, this is what works for me.
EvilXyzzy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.