What software to upload .hex to bootload mode?
Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, hamburgers, phono

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What software to upload .hex to bootload mode?

by Brandon Daniel on Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:38 pm

I finished the building my x0xb0x this morning, the analog section works great (from my fat controller tagged to the right points in the circuit) but I can't get the digital section to do much (it blinks a bit but all patterns seem one or two steps long, editing isn't responding correctly, and it's not putting out cv/gate to the analog section), I'd like to rule out a funky bootload before I go on to troubleshooting the build...

So I've got the latest hex file and I've installed the ftdi driver for my x0x on my XP machine, what do I do now to upload this stuff?
Brandon Daniel

by altitude on Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:57 pm

http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/manu ... index.html

If you get this to work, let me know cause it did not work for me at all

altitude

by Brandon Daniel on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:24 pm

Altitude wrote:http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/manual/bootloading/index.html

If you get this to work, let me know cause it did not work for me at all

Nope. I can't get this going. I think I've got the issue narrowed down (based on the java debug output) to the javax.comm.properties file and the driver def that's written there, but I don't know what that should actually say. I'm not really a programmer, so this crap is WAAAAY too difficult.

Anybody know of any win32 freeware serial AVR programmers that support the atmgega162 and will work?

Alternately an something on osx would work too, I guess, I'd just have to rope my iBook into this.

Oh, and I just tried the x0x in keyboard mode, and that appears to be working fine, it's only the pattern modes that are screwed up somehow.
Brandon Daniel

by Brandon Daniel on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:59 pm

bah, nevermind all that. Digital section is working fine (in keyboard and random modes, and from what I'm seeing probably in the others), it's just the data in the eeprom that's bogus.

If I go into a pattern mode, it's stuck on step one, which isn't set to a rest but has no associated note to it, but if I hit a note then the pattern starts just looping on that one note on step one. But if I set that step to a rest, then I can't turn rest off. Not sure how to set a note to last note in pattern (or to cancel that), I guess I'll go poke around the docs to see if that info is around anywhere.

Did your units come up this way when you finished them, or is this something peculiarly funky to me?
Brandon Daniel

by Jonnay on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:33 pm

Basicly, your eprom is empty of note data.

When in pattern edit mode, hit next, then hit chain (i think). that will fill your pattern up with random goodness.

Conversely, instead of hitting chain, hit a note, (and slide/accent to taste), and keep going until you hit 16 (or 14, or 7, or whatever). Then hit done.
Jonnay

by Brandon Daniel on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:44 pm

OK, thanks for the info, here I thought I'd maybe screwed something up. This is good news, it means my x0xb0x went together with only that one 6v reg hitch. Speaking of which, that just arrived at my doorstep. So now with confidence that everything is working fine, I'll replace the giant temporary 6v reg with the new (hopefully this one works) 78l06 and finish the case assembly.

woo hoo!
Brandon Daniel

Has anyone done a successful firmware update using Win XP?

by tkahn on Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:21 am

Did any of you guys get the firmware update to work on WinXP? I really need to do this update since my x0xb0x is acting up (or rather not acting at all apart from showing off it's LED's).

At home I have a Mac with MacOS 9.2, but I don't think I can get the java stuff working on this old machine with its legacy OS. This leaves me with the XP machine at work. Perhaps I can get my friend with a MacOS X machine to help me out, but then I'd really have to beg.
tkahn

by altitude on Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:13 pm

Yes,
Check the updated instructions under the user manual and firmware

altitude

by tkahn on Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:59 am

Ok, I have checked the updated instructions and I managed to update the fimware using a computer running WinXP (SP2). Now it's working better, but there are still a few quirks that have to be addressed (see below).

One interesting problem I ran into was that the JAvrProg tried connecting to the x0xb0x on any enabled COM-port. For example, if my Bluetooth Communications Port was enabled it chose this port instead of the USB Serial Port. My solution was to, in the device manager, diable all ports but the USB Serial Port before launching JAvrProg. This worked better.

Another thing was that I didn't have any CLASSPATH environment variable, but I just created a new one. I named it CLASSPATH and gave it the value "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\lib\ext\comm.jar"; the path to the comm.jar-file. This seems to work fine.

Something else worth mentioning regarding the installation of the USB <-> Serial driver is that if you have WinXP Service Pack 2 you don't need to disable the network connection before installing the driver. Just a tip.

Now it seems like I have a working x0xb0x, but when doing the firmware upload I never got a verification message. I got the progress bar and the "Erasing device..." and "Programming..." messages though, but after that the program didn't proceed eventhough the progress bar had gone to the end. So I just quit the JAvrProg, unplugged the x0xb0x and started it again in a different mode (not bootload).

This is what I can see in my commando prompt:

Read C:\x0xb0x.hex
trying to open port COM7 at 19200bps
Found x0xb0x1
supported: ATmega162
Bootloader is at addr 15872
Using block write mode

In the JAvrProg window I see:
Erasing Device...Programming...

Before it didn't work at all, but now I can get sounds from it, switch modes etc. One interesting thing though is that there seems to be a missmatch in the mode selection swith. For example when i turn it to "Keyboard" it enters "Random" mode. On the other hand when I turn it to "Pattern Edit" mode it enters pattern edit mode. So, the problem is not that the know is aligned wrong - there seems to be some sort of software missmatch(?) Since I don't have any MIDI stuff or other synths to connect my x0xb0x I can't verify if there is somehting fishy with the other modes.

What could be wrong? Why don't I get the verification message? And what's up with the mode switch bug? Is it a bug or have I just failed with my firmware update?
tkahn

Problem solved!

by tkahn on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:26 am

I think I have solved the problem. :P

I downloaded a new copy of the "x0xb0x.hex" file from a different mirror site and compared it to the one I used this morning. The old one was around 800 lines of code and the one I just downloaded was 924. I guess the first file was not complete or old or something?

I programmed the new file to the x0xb0x and it seemed to load fine. I then used the verify function and got the response "Verified".

Now the bug with the mode selection switch is gone.

I would be great with some sort of message from the JAvrProg when it's done programming; "Done" or somthing.
tkahn

by adafruit on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:40 am

tkahn wrote:One interesting problem I ran into was that the JAvrProg tried connecting to the x0xb0x on any enabled COM-port. For example, if my Bluetooth Communications Port was enabled it chose this port instead of the USB Serial Port. My solution was to, in the device manager, diable all ports but the USB Serial Port before launching JAvrProg. This worked better.

The next version of the bootloader program will have a pulldown list to select the COM port you want to try

Now it seems like I have a working x0xb0x, but when doing the firmware upload I never got a verification message. I got the progress bar and the "Erasing device..." and "Programming..." messages though, but after that the program didn't proceed eventhough the progress bar had gone to the end. So I just quit the JAvrProg, unplugged the x0xb0x and started it again in a different mode (not bootload).

Yeah, it should say "DONE" or something :) You did fine though.

Before it didn't work at all, but now I can get sounds from it, switch modes etc. One interesting thing though is that there seems to be a missmatch in the mode selection swith. For example when i turn it to "Keyboard" it enters "Random" mode. On the other hand when I turn it to "Pattern Edit" mode it enters pattern edit mode. So, the problem is not that the know is aligned wrong - there seems to be some sort of software missmatch(?) Since I don't have any MIDI stuff or other synths to connect my x0xb0x I can't verify if there is somehting fishy with the other modes.

Ironically, this is something that was messed up with source forge: when i uploaded the release version it didnt overwrite the beta version and when people tried to download the release they got the beta, which was for a different front panel arrangement. try re-downloading the file from sf.net and bootloading now. should work fine.

adafruit

by adafruit on Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:05 am

ladyada wrote:Yeah, it should say "DONE" or something :) You did fine though.

just fixed this. you can grab JAvrProg from sourceforge again and it will let you know its finished bootloading

adafruit

Thanks!

by tkahn on Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:38 am

Thanks for shining some light on the problems I experienced. :)

And thanks for making such a wonderful kit! It was great fun assembling it an hopefully I will have hours of fun playing with the finished x0xb0x. Dispite the 'bumps in the road' that I've had, this is the most professional kit project I've ever seen. :)
tkahn

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.