x0xb0x BOM v1.9 attached (last updated March 6 2009)

Discuss x0x construction and related issues

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dnigrin

Re: x0xb0x BOM v1.9 attached (last updated March 6 2009)

Post by dnigrin »

True, but ground shipping is $14 from Pactec, which almost completely erases the savings, as you'd most likely be getting other things sent for the same shipping amount from Mouser (or wherever).

exactspace

Post by exactspace »

Ah, good point. Ignore that post.

exactspace

Post by exactspace »

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but I noticed the BOM says you need 94 10K resistors, but on the manual, it says you need 54. http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/fab/parts.html

Is either one incorrect?

mazatta

Post by mazatta »

I think the extra 40 are for the LEDs

niksun

Post by niksun »

In the parts list on adafruit, you need 54 10K resistors and 40 appropriately-valued resistors for the LEDs. I use 10K resistors for the LEDs, so 54+40=94.

digraph

Post by digraph »

The BOM calls out 2x 8pin dip sockets - optionally. However I think you could use up to 3:

2 x AN6562
1 x 25c33

Which is to say I'm almost done and I used the 2 I ordered on the 6562s which go in first.

niksun

Post by niksun »

digraph wrote:The BOM calls out 2x 8pin dip sockets - optionally. However I think you could use up to 3:

2 x AN6562
1 x 25c33

Which is to say I'm almost done and I used the 2 I ordered on the 6562s which go in first.
It's included in the BOM on line 16 for the EEPROM. It's a part that was already specified by ladyada. The 2 optional ones are for the AN6562's.

synthasonic

Polyester Caps

Post by synthasonic »

Hmmm... I bought a WillZYX express kit, thinking I'd be all set b/c I have a lot of parts sitting around, only to discover that Mouser and Digikey no longer carry polyester caps. Jameco's site is currently down, so I can't check there. Small Bear has a few, but not all of the values needed for a x0xb0x. Can anyone recommend another source for these caps?

Thanks!

Sam E.

phono

Re: Polyester Caps

Post by phono »

synthasonic wrote:Hmmm... I bought a WillZYX express kit, thinking I'd be all set b/c I have a lot of parts sitting around, only to discover that Mouser and Digikey no longer carry polyester caps. Jameco's site is currently down, so I can't check there. Small Bear has a few, but not all of the values needed for a x0xb0x. Can anyone recommend another source for these caps?

Thanks!

Sam E.

mouser still have polyester caps, they wont stop stocking them anytime soon

synthasonic

Post by synthasonic »

Hi Phono,

I see what I missed before. I had just checked out the parts on the BOM and upon seeing that they were no longer available, moved on to other vendors. So, basically, as long as I match the capacitance value, tolerance, and voltage rating, any polyester film cap is cool, right? For example:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kem ... tALAjlc%3d

Thanks for the advice!

Sam E.

astroschnautzer

Post by astroschnautzer »

Is this BOM same as the original tb-303 or are there compromises made? I understand it is possible to get very near the original 303 with the right components so just wanto be sure before starting to order...

Brassteacher

Post by Brassteacher »

astroschnautzer wrote:Is this BOM same as the original tb-303 or are there compromises made? I understand it is possible to get very near the original 303 with the right components so just wanto be sure before starting to order...
The only real "compromise" is the BA6110 in place of the BA662A. The difference in sound, if any, is still a subject of debate. I think some of the kits out for sale use a LOT more 1% metal film resistors than the original, and in my opinion that will make a noticeable difference. As the posts previous to this had trouble finding polyester caps, I think Mouser and others have more of what people will want listed as "mylar" caps, which are the same thing really. Mylar is just one brand name for polyester, and most of them listed as mylar caps will be packaged more like the originals, i.e., dipped in plastic as opposed to being contained in a small plastic box.

astroschnautzer

Post by astroschnautzer »

Brassteacher wrote:
astroschnautzer wrote:Is this BOM same as the original tb-303 or are there compromises made? I understand it is possible to get very near the original 303 with the right components so just wanto be sure before starting to order...
The only real "compromise" is the BA6110 in place of the BA662A. The difference in sound, if any, is still a subject of debate. I think some of the kits out for sale use a LOT more 1% metal film resistors than the original, and in my opinion that will make a noticeable difference. As the posts previous to this had trouble finding polyester caps, I think Mouser and others have more of what people will want listed as "mylar" caps, which are the same thing really. Mylar is just one brand name for polyester, and most of them listed as mylar caps will be packaged more like the originals, i.e., dipped in plastic as opposed to being contained in a small plastic box.
Thanks for the detailed answer. Is the BA662A changed to BA6110 because its hard to get or some other reason? And this BOM seems to have all its resistors 1%... But isn´t it just a matter of luck what the final value of the 1% or 5% resistors are, just that they are inside the procentage....

xcer

Post by xcer »

BA662A was made by Roland, thus it's impossible to get unless you salvage a Roland synth. Sometimes they pop up on eBay.

Luap

Post by Luap »

XceR wrote:BA662A was made by Roland, thus it's impossible to get unless you salvage a Roland synth. Sometimes they pop up on eBay.
I managed to get a brand spanking new one from Vintage Planet. They often have them. But at the time of writing, they have none.
It is NOT a key component to the 303 sound though. So considering that it is usually an expensive part, it is not worth seeking out. The 6110 is plenty good enough.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Making x0x”